Shoot thru hull transducer

GAMBLER

I read that topic.  That was about thru hull transducers not shoot thru the hull transducers.  I'm talking about transducers that you do not have to drill a hole in the hull.  You epoxy the tranducer in the bilge and it shoots through the hull. 

I had a shoot thru on my 267 four winns and hooked to a lowarence 15mt than switched to a hds 8 and i liked it allot, I trolled for walleye in erie mostly and liked the fact that i didn't track balls off riggers all day. It was a lowarence ducer and I mounted it in the forward bilge.

Brian, years ago they were frowned upon because you lost so much sensitivity shooting through what was hopefully a thick hull. Like so much equipment, perhaps they have improved enough to warrant another look. If you are afraid because of trailering to install a true thru hull, it could be placed in such a way that it won't be "under load."

Brian, years ago they were frowned upon because you lost so much sensitivity shooting through what was hopefully a thick hull. Like so much equipment, perhaps they have improved enough to warrant another look. If you are afraid because of trailering to install a true thru hull, it could be placed in such a way that it won't be "under load."

I'm not afraid of the thru hull, I just don't have a spot to drill another hole in the bottom of my boat where it will be accessable if it died and I need to replace it.  My engine compartment is so cramped with the washdown seacock, 2 bildge pumps and the actual washdown pump I would have to mount it under the engine.  The shoot thru, I could mount right up against the bulk head under the washdown pump and it would be no issue.