downrigger question, where to point them?

Kuba

I have had my downriggers pointed to the rear and to the sides of my boat, when I pointed them to the sides my weights were wanderiing a lot to the center behind my boat. When I switched them to point to the rear they stay behind the boat all the time. Am I doing something wrong? I use a 10 and 15 pound balls, and cannon lake troll downriggers. They are mounted about 12-15" in front of the transom.

sounds like the down current pushing your weights toward the back/center of your boat, if thats the case it does it too when the downrigger is pointing off the back of the boat you just dont notice it as much.  how long are the booms on the riggers.

Underwater currents will affect rigger weights no matter which kind. Torpedoes don't twist, but they will swing to the side just like any other when current is pushing against them from  the side.

To check for current causing this, turn the boat 90 degrees and see if they track straighter behind. If that solves the tracking swing you'll know there is a strong current there. You could still return to previous direction, just know that your cannonball is a little higher than what the counter tells you. The space between cannonballs will still be the same, just not on each side of the boat.

Severe swinging might cause a problem of downrigger cable getting wraped in prop if you are using a kicker motor (because of short boom length) so be cautious.

Keeping them away from the kicker or your main engine is always the PRIORITY. Other than at very slow speeds you will always experience a degree of "blow back" or angle to the wire on the riggers. As Don said you just have to "estimate" a little where they are in relationship to the counter and your depth finder....unless you are going very fast this will be close anyway. They will look different when you are going with, against, or diagonally across currents. Most of the time I keep mine at 45 degree angles to the transom but I have 4 ft. booms and an 8 ft wide transom also (without ever having a tangle).  This also worked with these same downriggers though on my little 13 ft. Whaler and I never had a problem with the kicker or larger motor. If it is possible to extend the boom length somehow this could help out if you have trouble with that present location.

For cheap money you can make your own prop shroud out of aluminum or stainless. I wanted my shroud to be nice and roundso I had a metal shop run it through their radius bender. Then all I did was drill holes through the shroud and my cavitation plate and bolt it on. You can buy these from Cabelas too I think but a lot more money. Not only does it keep a swaying downrigger cable out of the prop but also fishing line while fighting a fish at the back of the boat.

My cannons are mounted about 2 ft in front of the transom and about 12 inches outboard of the gunnel.  Prob rigger points directly off the back and other at 45 degrees.  Only time I ever had issue was when I stupidly put it in neutral and the wind carried the boat in the wrong direction.  (Lucky I didn't loose the probe!

Tom B.

(LongLine)