Fish colorations

I am doing research for an article I'm going to write about fish coloration, specifically fish with green color pigmentation running down the top of their backs. I have seen it three times here on Lake Ontario over the years, twice on Lake Trout and once on a very mature brown trout. It is very similar to the green color used on hammertime or livewire spinnies, you know the green painted on edge. I have never seen it on cohos or kings.
I was wondering if any of you have ever seen this before either on Lake Michigan or Lake Ontario on fish that you have caught? I have been in conversation with Thirsty Whaler about this phenomenon and to its causes. I would appreciate any feedback you guys could offer.

I've seen a lot of it on Kings, cohos & stlhd.  Never seen it on a BT or LT though.  I also thought fish down deep & they naturally develop that coloration.  What's your theory? 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Longline I'm still tryimg to formulate a theory as to the cause. I know when it has happened during the season as there seems to be a time frame that is common. I'm thinking more in line with why certain attractor patterns work more better during certain times of the year.

I can't pm it I'll try to upload it tomorrow. I got Verizon hot spot for Internet and it literally takes 30+ min to upload a pic. I've caught a few coho with green backs always in the 2 ft range. Spring time shallow water. I don't fish deep or summer so I can't help you there. There's some good pics here also

http://www.google.com/search?q=lake+ontario+coho+pics&hl=en&client=mobilesearchapp&source=from-mobilesearchapp&v=0.9.0.7005&channel=iss&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KCNBUb_MOI3A4APM_IGoAQ&ved=0CA8QsAQ&biw=320&bih=417#p=0