Newbie from Sudbury, Ontario Canada

Hi All,

I fish for salmon in northern Lake Huron but I'm coming down to St Catherine's first weekend of May. I realize that most fishermen are tight lipped, but seeing how I'm pulling my 21ft Striper a five hour drive, I'm hoping someone would be willing to offer some advice...

I run 4 riggers/rods and have a home made planer board (never used) a dipsey rod (never used) and a lead core rod (never used)... In my neck of the woods we run mostly spoons (I have mostly NK), but I have some Lyman plugs. I bought some stick bait - banana smelt (live target) and a spin doctor with a Mountain Dew fly. All of which I hope to use.

Any advice is much appreciated.

post-151946-0-08247400-1363317326_thumb.jpg

post-151946-0-90571500-1363317362_thumb.jpg

post-151946-0-23165700-1363317411_thumb.jpg

post-151946-0-00070300-1363317456_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site.  Sounds like you've got the gear.  Can't go wrong with the NKs.  Run lots of green and an occassional white.  You'll find this board quite different than the rest.  We like to share info. :)   Tell us something about Huron.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Welcome to the site.  Sounds like you've got the gear.  Can't go wrong with the NKs.  Run lots of green and an occassional white.  You'll find this board quite different than the rest.  We like to share info. :)   Tell us something about Huron.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks Tom. I don't have a lot of green in my box bit I'm sure I can scare something green up. I don't have any white but was considering a wonder bread so ill likely pick one up on your advice. I fish out of various ports off manitoulin island but mostly out of South Baymouth (most southerly port). The salmon fishery collapsed about 4 years ago but has been making slow improvement since. We catch a lot of bow due to nets from the many fish farms breaking regularly - they are smaller an don't fight like the naturals. The salmon are few and far between but I persevere - we all know that there's nothing like a good sized king on the line - and I can't help but to keep trying. Our kings are all natural as they have not been stocked in Huron since the collapse (due the alewife over predation). My biggest was last sept - a 14lber caught nearby a local trib. Last year in June July we got a lot of 3-4lb atlantics which is a new development and likely due to the new stocking program. I usually fish with my father in law with a two line per licence limit so we just use the 4 riggers. When I come down to st catherines in may ill have 3 buddies so I wanted to be able to get more lines out, hence the making of the planer board and the purchase of the dipsey rig.

Again, any advice is welcome and greatly appreciate as I'm travelling from far and have admittedly high expectations fuelled by some of the posts I've read here.

Thanks again.

Wonderbread Nk 28 - excellent choice on the rigg'rs. Don't overcharge it & try speeding it up a little - like the 2.5 to 2.9 down speed range, especially across the currents. 

Looks like you're pretty handy on the board-job.  If I can make a couple suggestions - Try them first then consider putting a bevel on the front of the boads and putting the longer board on the outside.  You should be able to get them to really dig in and come almost parrallel to the boat with about 50-75 ft of line out.

Any King over about 7 Lbs with an adipose fin will be a "Natural" on Lake Ontario.  

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)  

10-4 on the planer board advice. The fronts are cut on 30 deg bevel and have a 60 deg prow. This one here is a port side. The picture doesn't show it well but the outside board is offset 4in ahead of the inside one. I'm going to try it before I make another for the starboard I have some inline planers I may try out there too. Thanks a lot for your advice, I may be in contact with you closer to the 1st weekend in May to get some advice on where the kings might be. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim, this is my second year fishing the big 'O', and what I found out quickly last year was you can't go wrong with black, green silver and white on this lake.  Glow colors in the morning and evenings on the flashers, and bright chrome and whites at high, bright sunny periods. Hold on, because these are the biggest kings in all of the Great Lakes!! :)

Edited by John Kelley