Billy V Cayuga April 21, 2013

We left Myers at about 6:30am and headed straight to the south end.  I was a little concerned that the fishing might be tough after the big blow, but it turns out I was wrong.  The wind had pushed all of the warm water up on the shelf in the south end and once we got set up on top of it the rods started poppin' and didn't let up till we wrapped up at about 11:30am - it was a really good bite!  Surface temps in the colored water ranged from 45-49 degrees, and as soon as we trolled out of the colored water the temps quickly dropped to 41-42 degrees and our bite stopped.  Kamoom's in Goby and Blk/Sil, Thin Fins in White and Fire Tiger, and Rapalas in Blk/Sil and Chartreuse pulled behind our otter boats were steady all morning for Atlantics, and we boated several nice browns from our Cannon's loaded with Super Slim's and NK's in Die Hard, Midnight Special, and Sea Sick Waddler patterns. It was good to see the fat browns come to the net, and we also had a larger class of atlantics than we had last weekend although we ended up throwing back a half dozen shorts too.  Our group did a good job on the rods although we still managed to drop a half dozen or so fish.  Oh, and we caught a nice northern on our one pass by Stewart park.  There were small lampreys on many of the fish but not as many as we saw last spring, and the lampreys were all about 1/3 the size of the ones we had on fish last spring.

On a side note, there were 3 people fishing out of a 13 or 14 foot aluminum boat in the same area that we were.  None of them had life jackets on and the boat was clearly over loaded and riding low in the water. To top it off there was a north chop from the wind and it looked to us like they were really close to taking one over the bow on multiple occassions.  Let's all try to remember that the water is still very cold and that hypothermia would set in within minutes if any of us was unfortunate enough to fall in.  No fish is worth that.  Please be safe out there.

Cline1_zps45b50d33.jpg

Cline2_zps5b082658.jpg

Nice fish and good report. Let's hope that those boneheads without life jackets on lived to see another day....I strongly suspect that they aren't folks who would be likely to be on here to see the posting....I would think that the rest of us would know better than that ...but...it is always good to have a reminder when you see idiocy in action :) I was wondering how deep you were getting those fish (below surface)

Edited by Sk8man

Our best rigger was set at 8' and was pulling a Northern King Die Hard.  We took several fish on the other two riggers at multiple other depths randing from 5'-20' - it all kinda depended on how deep of water we were over.