Cayuga 5/3

Fished with Livewire again and had similar results as the other day.  Couple of lakers one 22" and one 20"   Lots of salmon from the 11" pups to 17 1/2"        4 or 5 less lamperys than there were :lol: .     Lakers on a seneca special with a green fly of the dipsie out 120 on a #3 setting.  Salmon came off  the R&RS in the 3 1/4 " size   Orange shad,  Green banana, were the heros .   A couple on the small R &Rs in the 1 1/2"  with brass back up on top.    Down 6'  to 25'   and a couple flatlined with no weight back 100'   .   Couple hit while holding the line trying to get it in the release.  Nice day on the water.   

I don't know if were doing the Salmon a dis-service by catching them , or a service by catching them and taking off the lamperys ?   Again there were some 8>10"  and some 12>14"  which seems like to differant year classes.

Edited by Big Dave

On Seneca IMHO when the  lamperys get in high numbers the first to get wacked is the browns ....... but with the good stocking program and great growth rates they can bounce back in three years ( need more time for the hogs ) but should have some nice 3# to 5#ers in the mix......... not sure how this would relate to Cayuga ..... and it's just MY opinion !!!!!

I always though of Browns as homebodies that didn't travel all that much. There used to be a bunch at the south end all year. With all the lamperys they wouldn't have a chance.

Browns are quite vulnerable to lamprey attacks because of their bottom oriented feeding/staging habits and preference for wide range of water temps which brings them into contact with lampreys at a higher probability rate than other species that are more suspension oriented and higher ranging fish in the water column.