Oneida Memorial Day

Miss em

Hit the water at 1:30 for a few hours out of the south shore launch.  Made a downwind troll in front of the island to maybe a 1/2 mile east of the launch where we hit our first fish.  Ended up with four between 18 and 19 inches in about 45 minutes.  kids wanted to go do some casting so we left them :doh: and headed for some calmer water for the last hour.  One came on a Bare Naked Reef Runner, the other other three on a 7F black/gold rapala taken down deep on a deep diver Eriedescent Rapala on a three way rig.  All back around 130 or so on the inline boards.  25 fow.  No bites on the riggers today.

When we pulled the boat, ran into a guy and gal at the launch who had launched when we did and had tried for walleyes with no success.  In fact they had never caught a walleye ever.  I offered him a couple of ours but they said no thanks because they didn't know how to clean them anyway.  Really made their day when I fileted two of them right there on the spot for their supper tonight!  Hopefully some good karma will lean my way when I am halibut fishing in Alaska this week. :P

I have just started fishing oneida this year with little success I keep my boat near Lewis point I have been trolling worms,shiners , stick baits running as slow as 1.5 and and up does anyone have any suggestions?? Do I need to get slower maybe ??? I have boated walleyes but its been a def struggle and a lot are small. Thankfull for any info

bottom bounce night crawlers over the sunken humps. easy,cheap. # 6 hook,6lb line. i caught hundreds this way as a kid. just add  a small split shot to keep contact with the bottom. let the boat drift. 20-30 fow should keep you busy during daytime\summer.

Amen to the bottom bouncing. I fish Oneida successfully every year this way. I bring all of my trolling gear with and never use it. I just happen to use spinners with 1-2 hook crawler harness. I control my speed from .5 to 2.0 mph around shoals and rock piles. Change depth till you start hitting fish. If you hit in same spot on several drifts then carefully anchor up and start casting Carolina rigged worms or jigs. Hope this helps out and good luck! I'll be on oneida during July 4 week on north shore. Can't wait!

Yep, bouncers and crawler harnesses on the breaks, and once the lake fully warms, hit the deeper water, .8-1.3 mph. 1.5 is a tick too quick, or at least from what I've found.

Caught a pile-o-fish over the years with them.

I also target suspended fish via downriggers/# 5 and 7 Rapalas, rolling along at/near 2.0.

I hear folks chattering on the radio about various spoons being used too.