Sandy Creek 6/27 - It's on!

Looks like others had a great time out there last night as well! 

Started around 5ish and motored out to 200, dropped two riggers cheated with spoons down 60 and 40. Also two wire divers on 1.5 setting out 190 and 240 - one with wonderbread spinny/fly the other with blue/silver NBK looking spinny w/ blue and white fly. Eventually put the cursed 10 color leadcore out. Temp was all over the place given the NE blow with surface temps near 75 close to shore. Hit 300 FOW and saw a very prominent thermal break, one that you could see in a breezy 1-1.5' chop. Followed the scum line east and picked up 2 lakers, 8lb, 14lb, 3 Steelies, 4lb, 8lb, 12.5lb, 5 kings 12lb, 8lb and three skips. Went 10/10 in a couple hours. Most of our bite was on black/glow and black/white spoons with only lakers on the wires. The only thing that didn't take fish was the cursed leadcore with a bright colored spoon down the chute - not a surprise because after two years it has never even snagged me a goby. 

The big steelie hit the slider 14' above the ball at 40 feet. Black/glow spoon with a glow eye. I only saw one other boat out there - turned out to be a beautiful evening with no rain. 

Edited by carpedium

Thinking of heading out Sunday if the winds stays down.   Did you keep your cannon balls at 60 and 40, or did you end up adjusting?

Sounds like a great day of fishing.   Congrats!

Great report mate!

Night and day difference for me running lead core down the chute vs. off to the side on boards. Try running it off to the side, with something green and you may be surprised at some of those hungry kings and steelhead whacking it.

Thanks so much for sharing your success

- Chris

Great report mate!

Night and day difference for me running lead core down the chute vs. off to the side on boards. Try running it off to the side, with something green and you may be surprised at some of those hungry kings and steelhead whacking it.

Thanks so much for sharing your success

- Chris

Thanks for the tip - may have to get my planer reels fixed... 

I use Scotty Power Grips with braid on my lead core and copper and no issues with false releases. I bury the braid behind the black line deep in the clip and no issues. With other releases maybe there's issues with the braid slipping out.  However, the Scotty's are ridiculously expensive.....

I hear that allot of guys will spool up 1/2 a full core having 5 colors and then back it with 30lb line run all the lead core out into the water and then attach the planer release to the mono thereby having a full 5 colors in the water?