St Lawrence Walleyed out

Kevin J Legg

Justin,

My bottom bouncers are made from about a 5" piece of 1" lead pipe and foot long a piece of coat hanger. I place the coat hanger into lead pipe and pore it full of lead and put a 3 way swivel on the top of the coat hanger with 9" sticking out the bottom. Must weight about 10-12 ounces and are tough on your arm to fish

I use about  4' of 20 lb. fluorocarbon leader which doesn't seem to bother the walleye in the current.  I'll post a photo.

Justin,

Here are the heavy homemade bottom bouncers I use. The one on the left side is made from 2, 4 ounce slip sinkers and is adjustable by adding or subtracting sinkers. Note, the wire I run above the sinkers to keep Zebra mussel cut offs to a minimum. Main line is 60 lb. braid.

post-144887-0-02028500-1374753705_thumb.jpg

Got a chance to try the evening bite last night and its as good or better than the morning bite at Otisco...wondered if you are experiencing the same...i love the high water temps and the full moon!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've fished the evening with good success. However, there is almost no boat traffic in the early morning and I love that time of day on the river. I also have had good success at night wearing headlights as the walleyes move up into shallower water. You can also see the their glowing eyes with a spot light.

Morning is my favorite also...especially saturday n sunday...they are the only days with boat traffic as otisco isnt exactly a tourist hot spot like the Larry. Cant catch fish at nofishco tho....lol!

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin,

When I was a kid I lived in Dansville and I believe we fished Otisco for crappies in the spring of the year. Later we moved to Phelps where we fished some of the Finger Lakes. We then moved to the Albany area but I returned to the area for college at Hobart in Geneva and fished Seneca on occasion. I have many fond memories of that area.

Kevin.. Great job, but you're breaking my heart! I haven't had the big boat wet yet this year.. but I think we're finally heading up next weekend. I'll be fishing near the mouth of the river. How bad are the fleas up there? Should I spool up some heavy mono? Really looking forward to finally wetting a line! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Its tough to catch big eyes every trip I know ive been doing ok myself but I had a 3 day weekend zero and I was fishing hard. Thats why I love the 'eyes...keep the reports coming Kevin, and any chance we can get you down to oneida for a lou all walleye day?

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Another slow morning dodging the rain. I lost a nice walleye right at the net but it was my only hit. I did get a couple smallmouths. Think I will change things up a bit and make a run to the lake and give the salmon and trout a try on Wednesday.

Nice work...there's something about catching fish on a good old fashioned bucktail...I fish them quite a bit in the susquehanna river...do you tie your own? I keep saying ill make my own, but my buddies dad makes some good ones right here on the southside and isn't expensive. Weather looks tough down here but ill get out somehow..i hope!

justin

Another slow morning for walleyes. Only had one real nice fish on while trolling and it came unbuttoned. Due to location and feel I'm fairly certain it was a quality walleye but I never got a look. Scratched out 7 smallmouths but not what I was looking for