Mag 10A Inline Fuse

So  Iwas given a pair of Mag 10A's. I only had the plugs that are attached to the units so I ordered the replacement cables. $140 later I might add.... I got them all changed out tonight and tested them. they work great! Now I have to attach them to the battery. The tag on the new cables say to add a 30A fuse with a manual reset inline with the positive cable. I have seen inline fuses before but never one that had a manual reset? I plan on connecting both riggers to my new marine deep cycle battery. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

They are really a circuit breaker.  That you can get at napa or an autosupply store .  They will trip than reset their self when the cool down and the load is reduced.

I just used marine circuit breakers. Terminate the cable ends with rings and mounted the breakers inline right before the battery so access was easy and they are out of the weather. If you wanted to get fancy buy a panel and do it up nice.

Spike

Ok, just looked them up on West Marine website. I really dont know what I am looking at. Can anyone post an image of what  I am looking for? many thanks in advance

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=349177&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50556

Order/buy the 30 amp version. i can take a picture of mine tonight if you want to see how I rigged them up without the panel. I basically just stacked them side by side and held them in location with wire ties (it works, lol). I tried to use one breaker for the two riggers but would trip it when you need to move both riggers at the same time. So I added the second one and haven't had a problem.

Spike

I used a dual terminal fuse block on the positive battery post by Blue Sea. I suppose a circuit breaker would save the cost of replacing fuses when they blow.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/2151/Dual_MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

So I could use that one for both of my electric riggers? and does that basically mount on the positive terminal?

Edited by Adk1

went down to my local Ace hardware and picked up two inline 30A bus fuse holders and a bunch of 30A fuses. should work out slick.

Yes you could use it. You'd have to crimp a ring terminal to each positive downrigger wire, then attach each wire to one of the terminals on the fuse block. So you'd connect both riggers to that one fuse block. Here's what my manual says about connecting my Mag 10's to the battery.

Connecting to the Battery:
It is strongly recommended that a fuse or manual reset circuit breaker be installed at the battery on the positive lead of the power cable or that you connect the downriggerto a battery selector switch. (See Fuse and Wire Specifications) Connect the positive lead (RED) to the (+) post on your battery and the negative lead (BLACK) to the (-) post on your battery or the downrigger will not operate. Use the quick disconnect plug to remove the downrigger without touching the battery.

NOTE:
It is strongly recommended to power your Magnum with a Deep-Cycle marine battery. Only run a Magnum from a Starter battery if it is recharged by an alternator while trolling.

Tip:

Control degradation of the power cables and limit corrosion by using anti-oxidant gel on all connections.

So I went the fuse block and fuse route instead of the breaker route because I liked the way that block connects right to the battery...just slide it right on the positive battery post, tighten it down and add a 30A fuse for each rigger. Fair warning though, I paid 15 bucks for each fuse so the circuit breaker route is definately cheaper IMO.

this just uses 30A bus style fuses you use in your car etc. Yeah, I will have to add a loop connector on the end of it that will connect right to my new Deep Cycle batter. Each rigger has its own fuse and both will be connected to the deep cycle battery

Reason I liked the breaker over the inline fuse is I can shut it down any time I want. Also easier to reset after blowing out. Though I haven't tripped one since running each rigger on there own breaker. I don't use riggers early season local fishing so with the breakers off I don't have to worry about connections getting wet and having any stray current (though the caps do a pretty good job of sealing them up).

Really just a matter of preference.

Spike

yeah I hear yeah. I wont be using the electric DR's other than 2x a year on lake o. my lake is average 30 feet in depth. I use lead line here. the only thing that I know is that once those breakers that have the manual reset on them trip a few times they start to wear out and will start tripping easier each time. My electrician that I have been using at my business told me that, so I figured that having a handful of 30A fuses on hand basically eliminate that element in the equation. you basically start from scratch each time