21' Proline walk around I/O engine swap

Hi all

I have picked up a project that I may regret. It's an older Proline walk around with an I/O 4.3l V6. The person I am buying it from is a co-worker who said it popped and seized fast. I know going i to it that it may require a complete repower. Has anyone ever replaced the engine in a similar boat? I have found reman'd engines online for $2300 that are complete and ready to bolt in. Seems like it won't be a nightmare project, but I have been wrong before.

post-148608-13751182499164_thumb.jpg

pull the out drive off and make sure its  the engine thats locked and not the gearcase of the outdrive..  I had a catastropic failiure of the upper gearcase on my Merc crusier outdrive that locked up everything.  Bought a car once that a sized engine,, but the starter came loose and jammed the flywheel up.  Found that when I had the motor halfway out :headbang:

I have a 23' proline with an outboard. Would it be more cost efficient to buy a Jack plate and mount an outboard? Just another option. I would but a reman motor. There are a lot of options out there. Being a 4.3L motor those can be found in a lot of gm vehicles just change the cam out.

Sent from my thinking chair...