Rod blanks for Laker jigging rods

For 3/4 - 1oz. jigs, I usually build on 7' MH power, fast-action casting blanks.  My go-to favorite (Cayuga jigger here) is Batson's XMB-843 for up to 3/4oz jigs, or the XMB-844 for 1oz.  Both are light as a feather (sensitive), yet provide plenty of power to set the hook home and handle large lakers nicely.  St. Croix's 7' MHF series of blanks (and MF for Keuka-size fish) are favorites too.  I also have a few past customers who enjoy using the Mudhole MHX blanks I built up for them (again, mostly MB843's & MB844's).  Favorite jigging setup includes a split-grip, no foregrip, spiral-wrapped guides, and micro guides for runners. 

Disclaimer: I only build for fun, not for sale, so I'm by no means an expert. However, I'll second Copperliner's comments, with the caveat that micro guides may improve sensitivity, but since you're not casting, there's not as much advantage as regards line control, and they could be a disadvantage in wintertime when it's below freezing, IMHO. Definitely the casting setup with a spiral wrap is really comfortable. The XMB series from Batson is their top of the line high modulus blank and is a great value for the price; as for Mudhole blanks, I've never built on that particular model, but I've had generally good results with many others. If you're a spinning a"fish"ionado, the Batson XSB822.5 is a fantastic blank for this application, and it's slightly lighter than the 843. With this setup, I prefer carbon tube handles with an Aero Comfort size 16 reel seat and Fuji KH concept guides in an Alconite ring for use with superlines. 

...should have mentioned that I'm mainly a fair-weather (May - Oct) jigger - no problems with the tiny guides during that part of the year.  As Gator mentioned, I would definitely bump up running guide size if icing was ever an issue, or if large knots or swivels needed to be passed through the guide train.  (If my eyes get any worse, I may need to upsize soon anyway! :) )

Ditto on that 822.5 Gator, I've built a few of the ISB's and they sure make a sweet spinning rod!

I usually buy all my parts from mud hole, where can I get a Batson blank?

Check out:

http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

Down the left column of this page are many resources where you can find rodbuilding blanks and resources. This site is probably the best place on the internet to ask specific rodbuilding questions.

Thanks for the info. Going to try and build one over the Winter, first ever. Would like to build for downriggers, am I crazy??? Don't see many blanks for downriggers. Thanks for the help guys. :)

I can help you find the right blank for any Great Lakes trolling application. Lots of choices for great downrigger rods. There are fewer good diver rod choices.

Send me a private message describing what you are looking for and I help point you in the right direction.