Seneca question

Fished Seneca this a.m. out of Starkey on my neighbor Randy's boat along with neighbor Brett. Was choppy with SW wind but looked very promising. Marked a ton of fish but no takers except one laker. Threw everything but the kitchen sink. Were a couple other boats in the area and one boat indicated he had caught 3 fish. My question is this, we thought that boat was fishing with outriggers but after further notice, it appeared they were more like balls floating behind the boat. I though they were balloons but we noticed there were 3 of these objects floating, one behind the other, red and yellow in color. Any idea what they were? Fleas were also an issue except on the blood run line. No a one. :)

Yes in all probability they were the floats (or "jugs") from multiple leader (usually running5 lures on each rig) Seth Green rigs. They stagger them to avoid tangles, to separate the lures in the water column and often run each at a little different levels of the water column. The fact that they caught three fish may have more to do with probabilities (more lures ='s more chances) than anything else and that they were covering more of the water column (depth-wise) than can be done with single lures. Once the thermocline is established it is usually a very productive method of fishing. Often rainbows and landlocks (and an occasional brown) are caught on the upper leaders  at this time of the year and the lakers on the bottom ones.

Edited by Sk8man

Guys, thanks for the response. We too were fishing with Seth green rigs and at first I thought they were jug rigs. But it seemed that the three floats were all running in a row, one behind the other. Randy has been running Seth Green rigs and jugs for years and he couldn't figure out what there were. That is why I figured I throw it out to the knowledgeable people on this forum.

Thanks for you relies.

Thanks ERABBIT. They were in a straight line which was puzzling to us. I would figure if they were a type of jug, it would be a nightmare to clear the lines. They were also using downriggers.

Edited by flyak

It is a bit of a challenge but can be done. I've often run two of them as well as two side rigs and two dipseys or toplines on my outriggers back when they allowed 15 single points (single hooks replaced trebles) per rod until they changed the regulation (for a total of 62 lures coming through the water).  A downside to it aside from tangling is getting hung up on something like the anchor wires on the barge and losing 30 Sutton"s and bead chains etc. in one incident :lol: A number of guys used to run the three or more jug rigs out deep by the Navy barge back then. The trick is staggering them right and then when you get a fish carefully "sliding" them by the other rigs. Obviously you don't make radical turns. They may appear as a straight line from the side or a distance but they are slightly staggered to the side of each other in the usual presentation. They could have been running the downrigger deep and close to the ball. A couple of the guys used to use duck decoys for the "jugs" painted fluorescent orange :)

Edited by Sk8man

I dunno,,, It sounds like an awful lot of work to fish something like that... Trolling meat rigs is bad enough, but hanging them  at staggered depths under giant bobbers??...ugh.. I guess I just don't need the fish that bad.. I'll stick to jigging....bob

Edited by bulletbob