Great day on Black river

Xxx

Took my two daughters up to the camper Thursday - Sat. I didn't bring my Sea Ray as it was just the three of us, used my uncles boat 16ft (mister musky). Got out on the river around 7.30 and headed down to the snake pit last island on the river, little cove on the right caught 3 right off the bat their first smallies, they were shocked at hard they fight and jump out of the water, really cool dad!!! Moved up to the split and managed a few more, the fishing slowed down a little so I had a chance to make a few casts and managed a 20.5 inch walleye, they never saw a walleye so that was neat for them, made another cast and another walleye, this time I handed the pole to Emily and she landed her first walleye. Now they want to fish for walleye so Got out the trolling rods and inline boards and let out 75ft of line and hooked up first board then commenced to get Elizabeth set up 100ft back hooked board up with an lure not sure what it is green on top bright orange on bottom with loud rattles and Emily had a small purple on top and yellow bottom hot & tot we managed a one man ticket with 2 nice small mouths in 4 hours girls had a blast and dad couldn't have been more proud of them!!!   Day 2 we were on the water 7am with same program hit one right away with the hot & tot, but Elizabeth's hot lure was not to hot this day so I rigged up a small wiggle wart green on to and bright red on bottom, the girls managed 9 walleyes ranging from 19.5 to 24 inches with 4 passes on the river we had no luck trolling down river for some reason, so I ran down the side and set up for a up stream troll. So hopefully I have 2 walleye junkies till it won't be cool to hang with dad. PAP  

That's the way to do it Pap. Once the teen years hit even walleyes lose their appeal when they "discover" boys but the fishing is fun while it lasts :)

Sure can vouch for what Sk8man said. Oh I can get the girls to go once in awhile but they

sure as hell dont want to get up at 5 or 6 like they used to. If I have a fishing buddy to go with

they dont mine not going at all.  Question though. Have put in at the launch at Dexter before.

About how many islands in that river before it empties into the big water?  Maybe I did not go

far enough to see more islands.

Kevin my story doesn't hold a candle stick compared to your catch!!! way to go and congrats to you, you definitely had a day on lake O you will never forget GOOD FOR YOU!!!  when we got in to clean our walleye there were a bunch of guys, One guy had a Black River Bay Campgrounds Tee shirt on, those guys had our attention they had a 7 walleye the smallest one weighed 8.5 lbs and the rest were bigger this was the biggest box of walleye I ever saw in my life, after reading your story I thought it might have been you? there was 4 guys, so I showed Emily your picture and she doesn't think that was you at Black River. We had a nice catch to eat but those guys had wall hanger walleye and they were filleting them so I think they do well often, they didn't seem to excited, I would have been going nuts if I would have such a catch, that catch and yours were amazing congrats to the both of you. PAP. PS. I asked where they caught them and my answer was (out in the big water) I should of known better.

fbg14619, if you launched at Dexter then there are 3 islands the first one is in the first turn you can see it from the launch the second one is about 3/4 down the river and the 3rd is directly behind the second one, there was one on the right, and now it's marked buy bouys , then your in the channel going out into the bay.

Thanks for the info Pap. I was up there last year and got too close to that 2nd island

and it was real shallow and I dinged my prop on some rocks so I was kind of leery

about navigating it and turned around. There were no walleye around that first island.

Salmon were rolling all over the place though. It was last weekend in Aug. Am thinking

of heading back up to Clayton again and maybe I will take a day and put in there again.