Is it true?

GAMBLER

FT - The math is correct. We won't see it for a couple years. I'm thinking Alwife numbers will be up again this year but am wondering how the lousy fall run affected Nat Repro. (again, a couple yrs down the road)

One thing we all need to do is be careful with any shakers that we catch. Please take the extra care to make sure they survive when you release them.

Browns look like the best bet. Hearty buggers that they are. Lakers have been having a tough time for the last few years. Luckily they live longer than the others.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Fishinman -

"Luckily" meant that even if an entire year class got wiped out (which they have) there's still other year classes out there because they have longer life spans. i.e. if the two yr olds got wiped out, there's still the 1's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's, etc still out there.

If a yrs worth of Salmon get the ax, then only a couple yr classes are still out there as they rarely live past 4 in Big-O.

I wrote that to help inspire the "greaser" fishermen out there. Don't worry about me fishing for them. For me, there's more thrill fishing for my wife's aquarium goldfish with sewing thread tied to a straw than specifically targeting anything that swims like a 5-gal pail full of seaweed. ;)

I'm just hoping that guys who "Catch & Release" or "Hook & Cook" don't have to become "Stop & Shop" or "Stare & Swear" fishermen. (At the zoo or aquarium) :lol:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Guy's, you also have to remember that there is not a 100% iron clad correlation between stocking numbers and returns. There was 1 year back in the mid 90's (shortly after the stocking number cuts) when there was a problem at the hatchery and they only had 1 million kings to stock that year. That year class had the best survival on record and the returns blew away the returns they were getting in the 80's when we were dumping 3+ million kings in the lake every year.

I for one am going to keep a positive outlook on the situation.

Tim

as far as nat. reproduction goes, conditions i saw in the streams were far from optimum from a survival standpoint. i would suspect that the kings sucess rate was lower in the streams as well.there were a lot of late cohos this year and that masy help them