Flouro. on the SLR?

Grindstoner

Hello Anglers!

I have been fishing the Larry for many years with trial and error as my guide. Finding this forum earlier this summer has been really great. Some of your posts have given me new excuses to buy gear (another favorite pastime)!

A few years ago I started fishing the SLR exclusively for Walleyes after many years of chasing pike, bass and perch. My only productive technique has been trolling deep diving cranks (manns, reef runners, zumis and the like) over the humps in deep water.

Based upon some of the discussions I have read here I have been running TDD11's and jointed husky jerks this summer, but I am consistently striking out or getting Northern and Bass.

As I have fished and prep'd lines this year I have been debating and experimenting with flouro leaders. Sometimes I skip them and run green braid, sometimes I add 4-5ft on a barrel swivel, sometimes with a blood knot, but always with a swivel on the bottom. My results have only revealed the well known fact the pike will hit anything. No 'eyes...

What is your experience with flouro and how do you rig it with big cranks?

Thanks,

Craig

I generally run 20-25#  fluorocarbon 4 1/2' behind heavy bottom bouncers when trolling deep with stick baits, If running deep divers I use 3' of the same fluoro leader off a barrel swivel, same with down riggers. It really helps reduce chafing from zebra mussels and is less visible but still requires frequent checking. I use a snap for easy changing of the lures.