Cayuga 9/29

hermit

Launched at 6:30, fishing by 6:45.  Jigged lakers until 8:45.  Started slow with a little bait and very few marks.  Zipped up to near Kingtown Beach and the action started picking up for us around 8.  Lost/missed a few, broke one off, (must've been a bad knot on my part) got 4 to the boat in around 45 minutes.  Took my neighbor Dan out, I looked at the screen and saw a laker near his jig: "start reeling!" All he did was lift his rod and bang fish on!  Always get a kick out of that, and it was the big fish of the morning at maybe 7 lbs.  2 others were 4-5 lbs and one dink 2-3 lb.  Bite was still on when we left.

At this point we switch to perch, never found a good concentration but I brought home 5 for dinner with a couple 11-12" and the other three 9".  Did this from 9 to 10:30 and packed it up due to previous commitments.  Drifted 1/8 mile of shore or so in 35-55, picked up a few small smallmouth also.  Good enough for me, I've never done open water perching on Cayuga.  Next time I'll have to try another area for better numbers.

Not too shabby overall since we didn't boat the first fish until 8 or so.  Great morning though the wind starting ripping pretty good after a few hours.  Still fantastic to get out!   :)

Edit: fixed a number.

Edited by hermit

Thanks Ed!  Haven't been out much since June, it was a great morning. :yes:  Sounds like you got your motor squared away, good news.

Les the wind didn't get too bad until just before we made the switch to perch and I used the trolling motor to slow the drift a lot after that, a little bumpy but another body in the front also helps with the little boats.  The breeze came up quick though!

edit:

Found this on YouTube and tried this cleaning method on the perch for the first time, it works great, you peel them like a banana.  Need a little practice to get down to 10 seconds though!  Whoa the video's right here!

Edited by hermit

Guy showed me that years ago for bullhead close to the same deal worked great for them 12" and less...never tryed it on any thing else and it's been YEARS since I've done it......all you had was the liver to pop out......great vido Alec thanks for sharing....