10-2 Otisco walleye electrofishing

justtracytrolling

The biologists from the DEC sampled Otisco Lake last night to check the progress of this years stocking.   I was told by Ian Blackburn that the fingerlings are doing very well in both size and in numbers.  I then asked about big walleyes and he said there was excellent numbers of 3-5 pound fish just on the "pond" side of the causeway alone.  I didn't fish there as I have my own spots and fishing behind an electrofishing boat cant be that productive.  I then proceeded to tell him how we were doing all year and showed him my pics from this week and this summer, and he was very happy to see such good catch rates and said that lake was in great shape.  Not only didn't he ask me about why I don't practice conservation he thanked me for participating in the angler diaries (he is in charge of it) as angler harvests and participation is NECESSARY in order to receive stockings.  I then asked him if he read our forum and he said yes there is a lot of good reports from Otisco and I told him that justtracytrolling is me, and I found out the other biologist was in charge of promoting the quality of each NY fishery and he thanked me for all of the fishing reports as it helps market our NYS fisheries and keep people interested.  So to anyone who thinks eating legal limits of mature walleye out of Otisco is not a good conservation practice, and reporting my catches to all of you and the DEC is not enough of a conservation effort.  Please do some research make some calls and maybe go fishing in the lake you are speaking about before you try to make wild statements and criticisms.  I will be emailing Ian and ask him to join our forum and to post interesting walleye info in our section so we have our facts straight.  After spending time talking to  both biologists I couldn't help but feel Otisco is in very capable and caring hands.  They truly are working FOR us and do a wonderful job, and want to thank them publicly for the fine fishery they have stocked for us. 

Now the fun part ACTUALLY FISHING...

My buddy matt and the man took me who took me fishing as a young man, Walt, Joined me for a gorgeous night casting f18s for some nice fat walleyes.  It was a slow night compared to the last 3 and we really had to work hard to catch 6.  Walt had more than a few dropped fish and matt lost 1 really nice eye, and they lost half of my f18s.  I had a mere 1 hit and got 1 fish, but I didn't bring enough f18's for me lol!  Biggest fish was 25 smallest was a mere 20.75 and it was mine.  Don't feel to bad for me I was just glad they had good action.  Caught our first tiger of the fall casting in the dark (had 1 this spring too) Got 2 more bass over 20" and I finished filleting as the sun came up, and got some cool pics on the way home, but I have to add the pics from my phone.   

Great post Justin. Hope it quiets the complainers. People don't realize that if we thought harvesting the fish were hurting the resource we love we'd be the first to want changes in the regs. I also believe fishing a lake often over many years gives you a good idea of how the population is fairing and further leads to good stewardship. Your reports are super informative and I'm sure many people have gleaned a wealth of information from them.

I should be fishing as I haven't had any luck with the deer or turkeys but duck opens tomorrow!

I met the DEC crew  last night as they were returning from the main lake side. The results were similar to what they experienced the night before. Plenty of 5-6# walleyes around , many 27'-30" tigers around the north end/ The bigger tigers apparently tend to take off before they can get to them. All in All, I think you'll find that the lake is in great shape.

After spending some time with them asking questions and exchanging info, I walked away with the notion that the walleye stocking is a NECESSITY, not merely a boost to the natural reporoduction that occurs there. ( which BTW is pretty much nonexistent thanks to the alewive population). I don't need to quote them specifically but you get my point.

As we were parting ways, the last thing I asked them " what can we do to help you guys out?" and the exact reply was " fill out the angler diary". I commended them for doing a great job and they were on their way.

I just became a participant of the angler diary  this year and now  realize how important it is to them and wished I had done it years ago.

I work in an engineering/RandD field and know that "too much data" is way better than "not enough data". You can always sort through the data you have to get what you want, but at least you have that ability to do so. However, I also know that "no data" is better than "inaccurate data".

What good is it to fill out an angler diary if it is NOT accurate???

The information exchange is a  2-way street. The more information WE as anglers can give the DEC about OUR fishing trips, the better fisheries managers they become. The more information I can get out of the DEC as it pertains to the body of water and fishing I do, the better fisherman I become.

They know how many fish they are putting in each year. Everything beyond that  is statistical analysis for the most part, I believe. You can imagine how difficult their job is trying to manage a fishery. Why not make it easier , by providing them with the data they need ? I would rather see them stock more walleyes because more fish are being caught, instead of quit stocking them because there is no interest. This goes for any body of water and any type of fishing you do where stocking is involved.

One last thing, I think I can speak for Justin as well. If we(because justin and i fished quite a bit together) ,out of all of the numerous walleyes caught, decided that we were going to throw back any walleye over 22", we would be eating fast food and our freezers would be unplugged. Instead we are looking for new ways to prepare walleye for consumption. I like the second way better. I would rather struggle finding new different ways to cook walleye , rather than struggle on how to catch them!

In the meantime, I will be relying on what the fisheries biologists at the dec tell me about the lake I fish, not what somebody on the internet thinks I should be doing as it relates to conservation and fisheries management.

The DEC is more than willing to share info if you contact them and have questions about the status of your body of water and your type of fishing.

I will do more on sharing info with them from here on out.

Now, if I can just figure them out on the ice!

Good luck to all wherever your fall bite is!

:yes:

Tim

Ronald,

Its hard for me to say as I hope to open deer camp today and I have walleye and no venison, and honestly Im tired. Tim will keep me posted on the fish, and Im gonna get a deer. There's plenty of walleyes and they are definitely feeding every night. Everyone give plenty of space to each other and be safe, its a new moon and its dark! Enjoy

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oh and I forgot ,

I gave casting a try for a couple hrs with one smash  on an F18 and that was it. I think this super stable warm weather pattern slowed down the bite maybe a lilttle. Althought we had some nice storms and rain come through this am. 

I believe some changeable weather would pick things back up.

Tim

I was wondering if there are any public access for shore fishing over there. I live on the west side of Cayuga and only fished there once when I was young. I have a 14 fishing boat but I am not equipped to fish at night which sounds like when the bite is happening. I am not asking for a honey hole or anything just wondering to low down on where I might be able to go to get a hook up.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ive fished that lake at night from a kayak. Nice and small so you can cover a lot of water. Just have to be careful. Tough to see boats and even tougher for them to see you. Probably not a good idea for those who are new to night fishing on the lake

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Probably a really bad idea on a new moon and its been foggy out there every night....twice last fall I had very close calls with unlit vessals....one was sleeping and coincidentally I checked my boards with a spotlight and saw him the other used a cigarette lighter to save himself....what if I was fighting a fish....gotta have lights.

Justin

Probably a really bad idea on a new moon and its been foggy out there every night....twice last fall I had very close calls with unlit vessals....one was sleeping and coincidentally I checked my boards with a spotlight and saw him the other used a cigarette lighter to save himself....what if I was fighting a fish....gotta have lights.

Justin

"One time trolling at night" One night my uncle and I went on Beltzville trolling for walleye, we were doing well flat lining off the sides so we decided to put out the boards and run 2 lines off each side and 2 off the rod holders. Since I have a starter & alt business I built a alternator that you could weld with, so my boat is well lit up at night with floods out the front and out the sides. we wanted to hit a sand flat that the walleyes come on to at night to feed, but to shallow to run through so that's where the board idea came to mind. We made a pass and managed to boat a nice eye so we went up the lake made the turn and came back through right on the same gps route when all of a sudden we heard screaming like someone was being killed we stopped immediately only to notice our board was gone. Here we managed to hook a man that waded out on the bar, with no light on him or a lantern on land. We cut all our lines and got the guy in the boat, The man insisted he call the fish commission, he thought we were in the wrong, meanwhile we took the lures out of his boots and skin, and fixed him up as good as we could with the first aid kit. We ended our night of fishing and headed to the dock where the long arm of the law was when we got there. Long story short the man was ticketed for not having a light on his hat, no lantern on land and not saying anything to us as he admitted that he was there when we made our first pass, my boat passed the night lights with flying colors, and the fact that we pulled him aboard and tried to help him the fish and boat comm. along with the state police said we did everything possible to help this guy, yet he calls the law aboard my boat, the trooper said we were good people, most guys would of thrown him over board. So if you fish at night with other boats an the water PLEASE make sure you are well marked. You will never know when I might be coming around the bend with my spread out 6 lures with 3 triple hooks could make for a painful evening!! That's PA. laws I will have to read what's legal or not in NY.