Some not so good news for the Great Lakes:Asian Carp

Sk8man

All carp species are from the Eurasian continent....grass carp an be found in the Rochester area. They are a better challenge for fishing and are more like the common carp, koi, and goldfish. They do not pose the threat that bighead and silvers do. Make no mistake about it....those latter two species need to GO.....! Thanx for the story..... :yes:

I think one of the points they were making is that the other varieties of carp (silver and big head) would definitely be able to adapt and breed in the Great Lakes (despite the colder water temps, differences in habitat etc.). and that grass carp may not be as benign as we may think in terms of the habitat.

I think one of the points they were making is that the other varieties of carp (silver and big head) would definitely be able to adapt and breed in the Great Lakes (despite the colder water temps, differences in habitat etc.). and that grass carp may not be as benign as we may think in terms of the habitat.

Yes, definitely :nod: . If you read up on grass carp, they seem to be challenging and easy to spook when going for them. But the way the bigs and silvers eat the phytoplankton up as adults is a problematic ecosystem issue with possible harm to things like perch and any other young water animals. And who the hell needs flying crazy fish every time a motorboat goes through....though I could see them useful when it comes to those annoying (to me when fishing) jet skiers! They are like mosquitoes to me..... :no:   (but fun to ride :smirk: )!

Yeah it would be nice to knock a few of the jet skiers on their butts with a flying fish ! :lol::yes:

I have to agree with knuckle head jet skiers that would be funny to watch, but getting back to more serious matter we definitely don't need those problematic fish (invasive species) to contend with. We got more then we can chew now!! without those fish yet.

Grass carp in NYS are the triploid variety.  i.e. stocked sterile fish and require a special DEC permit. I understand they really don't get very big i.e. 10-12 Lbs max.  Those monsters we hear about are usually common carp which can get up over 20. 

Allegedly, carp were brought over from Europe as a food and sport fish many many years ago.  (boy, they blew that one, didn't they?)

Tom B.

(LongLine)