DR ball storage and trolling motor/battery

After getting sidetracked by family responsibilities for the past year I am finally getting back to setting up a 12' boat for trolling in Canadice/Hemlock.    I am almost finished building an aluminum DR mount to bolt to the transom and got to thinking about how to store the DR ball while running at speed (not trolling).  I don't want the ball rolling/banging around the bottom of the boat.  Is there a SOP for storing DR balls?  Suggestions?

I am also considering getting a 40lb trolling motor and battery.  For Canadice especially it would be nice to have a quiet method of propulsion.   I have no idea if 40lb is enough power for this 12' boat pulling an 8-10lb DR ball through the water.   Has anyone had experience with this?

I have been looking at batteries and see Wal-Mart has two sizes, a 27 and a 29.   The 29 looks too big for the plastic battery boxes.   Is there a big difference between the 27 vs. the 29?   All I plan on running is the trolling motor and a fish finder.   Thoughts?

Jack

I have these Ball Babbies scewed on a board and put it in the conner on the floor..... some guys make the same thing out of sewer pipe a lot cheaper .... I picked the ones I have for WAY less then Cabela's is selling them

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/Cabelas/s7_015829_999_01?labelKey=label&&id=GQhQ91&wid=729&hei=402&fmt=jpg

Mr Rabbit :   Great idea!   I like the sewer pipe idea!   Cheap is good in this instance.  I'll probably make a holder right near or on the DR mount using sewer pipe or similar.   Maybe a sewer pipe cap if cheap.

Capt Hook:  Yes,  strain on the DR is why I asked.   Couldn't imagine the ball swinging and bouncing on the boom.

Burrows:   I have a used Cannon easytroll.   One of the ones with the white body and metal boom.

Thanks guys!   That half of the query is answered.

Jack

Jack,

You should be OK with the 40 lb trolling motor on a 12 footer. I use a 55 lb thrust on my 18 ft powered by a heavy duty deep cycle battery.( Not familiar with the ones you mentioned) and it works fine (3,000 lbs plus boat).

Edited by Sk8man

After getting sidetracked by family responsibilities for the past year I am finally getting back to setting up a 12' boat for trolling in Canadice/Hemlock.    I am almost finished building an aluminum DR mount to bolt to the transom and got to thinking about how to store the DR ball while running at speed (not trolling).  I don't want the ball rolling/banging around the bottom of the boat.  Is there a SOP for storing DR balls?  Suggestions?

I am also considering getting a 40lb trolling motor and battery.  For Canadice especially it would be nice to have a quiet method of propulsion.   I have no idea if 40lb is enough power for this 12' boat pulling an 8-10lb DR ball through the water.   Has anyone had experience with this?

I have been looking at batteries and see Wal-Mart has two sizes, a 27 and a 29.   The 29 looks too big for the plastic battery boxes.   Is there a big difference between the 27 vs. the 29?   All I plan on running is the trolling motor and a fish finder.   Thoughts?

Jack

The group 29 battery is actually a group 31 in size used in over the road trucks and heavy equipment the size is bigger in the length I don't know about the width, they claim they have a little more reserve but not enough to off set price and not fitting in the battery boxes. 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries hooked in parallel series should be more than sufficient. My uncle has this set up and can troll a long time, as he has a solar system incorporated in to the system which is charging all the time IF the suns out. Here is the size difference group 27 L12" W 67/8" H 85/8 group 31 L 13" W 63/4 H 93/8 being in the starter & alt business I had these numbers memorized as they are the most common in the heavy duty industry and the marine sizes are the same.

Edited by pap

Sk8man - Thanks,  I am guessing 600 lbs ready to go with me in it so I may be over the needed power.   Better more than too little if a stiff breeze gives trouble.   I hope to combine it with the 6hp gas motor but that transom is pretty small !

pap - Thanks, I didn't have a clue about the 29 and was thinking of getting two of the 27 to be able to use the battery boxes.   Might start out with one to see how long it lasts.  Wiring will be the challenge as I would like the battery(s) in the bow and the motor in the stern.  Guessing #4 wire if I can find some.  Also cut out switch and fuse.

I just bolted the DR in place and it seems solid with all the give in the DR and Cannon mounting plate.  

Next to design/build some simple floor boards to keep my feet dry and have a flat surface for my deck chair :)    Then a forward deck to hold battery box and small gas tank as well as some sort of mount for a speed indicator and fish finder.

How long till spring fishing :thinking:   It will be interesting to see if I can catch

Thanks,

Jack

Hey Jack,

I think you might want to stay away from the deck chair idea...they are very" tippy" and ina 12 footer that could spell disaster. I guess I'd be looking for an inexpensive fold down seat that clamps to the cross piece.... a lot safer....

Hey Jack,

I think you might want to stay away from the deck chair idea...they are very" tippy" and ina 12 footer that could spell disaster. I guess I'd be looking for an inexpensive fold down seat that clamps to the cross piece.... a lot safer....

I looked at the folding chair and by the time I added up the mounting hardware it got pretty pricey.   The other issue is I would want two and the one for the center thwart would be to high for rowing.  Actually I tried a small folding camp chair, very cheap, low slung and it worked mint sitting in the bottom of the boat.   The deck will raise it about 2-3" and allow for better positioning.   Oops....   there goes my boat!   Hopefully not!   Definitely not for running with the gas motor at 10 knots !

But then there is the time I fell asleep at the helm of my sailboat and got woke up by cold rush of water, yikes.    That happened on the big O and I had to get a life jacket on, sort out the floating flotsam,  dismast, bail, get in, and re-step the mast and re-rig all solo.  Hardest part was stepping the mast in a relatively calm sea. Of course this happened to me with another sailboat near by and was very embarrassing :doh:

Worse part of all this is that if I get to liking this trolling thing I will want a larger boat..................

I would definitely go with a 45 or 55lb thrust minkota, probably the 55. I have had a 45 for my16ft polly flat back canoe for about 4 years, I think it weighs about 80lbs. If there is a little chop on the water the extra power will help you stay at your desired speed. I never used a DR, but pull 2 #3 dipseys no prob. Mostly fish Cayuga but have fished Canadice quite a few times. The extra power is also nice to get you back to the launch in a hurry. With a new 122amp hr battery I can probably get 5 or 6hrs of trolling at 1.8mph, but I have had quite a few LONG paddles back to the launch. I also have a 5hp outboard, but trolling without the racket of 2-stroke motor sure is nice! 

-Sonam

We came up with a system for making a platform up front of a small boat, we measured up what it takes for the batteries and fuel cell which I think we went 16" from the floor, then welded tabs around at the 16" mark  then cut a piece of 3/4 marine plywood, then screwed it to the tabs and made supports out of 2x2 at the edge towards the seats. you could stand up on the platform, and had storage underneath. we actually put a flush mount seat base or either a seat or a planner mast. worked good, lay the anchor up there or whatever, takes a little finessing to fit the boat shape but we got it.   

I would definitely go with a 45 or 55lb thrust minkota, probably the 55. I have had a 45 for my16ft polly flat back canoe for about 4 years, I think it weighs about 80lbs. If there is a little chop on the water the extra power will help you stay at your desired speed. I never used a DR, but pull 2 #3 dipseys no prob. Mostly fish Cayuga but have fished Canadice quite a few times. The extra power is also nice to get you back to the launch in a hurry. With a new 122amp hr battery I can probably get 5 or 6hrs of trolling at 1.8mph, but I have had quite a few LONG paddles back to the launch. I also have a 5hp outboard, but trolling without the racket of 2-stroke motor sure is nice! 

-Sonam

Did you run into wave action on Cayuga?   I am a bit timid about taking a 12' boat on Cayuga or Seneca unless it is very calm.

When the water is cold I don't go out if wind is in the forecast. If the wind does pick up, I stay close to shore so I can quickly dock or swim back to shore if need be. As long as there are no white caps its not bad. Got a 21ft starcratf now, so don't use the canoe much anymore.