Honeoye 1-17-14

Sk8man

Fished from about 9:30 AM until 5 PM today at the south end west side in 8-12 ft. It was very slow today...many "lookers" but despite changing jigs/baits every few minutes and jigging our butts off we managed 1 4-5 lb pickerel (jigging) and about 20 or so very nice gills...no bass or walleye action or any releases on the 5 tip-ups with emeralds. We threw back a big bunch of "dinks" that were located in the less than10 ft area. The ice is excellent...about 6-7 inches of hard ice with no snow on it.

Edited by Sk8man

Once again, close but no cigar, Les! I was there Thursday nite for a couple hours (thanks to your son for the update on ice conditions) and found the fish really passive. Still, using the camera I managed to seal the deal with a bunch of bull bluegill. I had to jerk the jig away from a few pike, too...more and more showing up in Honeoye these days. In fact, Greg ("Size Matters" on Shanty) broke off five times fishing near me.

Thanks for the report, and we'll hook up there at some point.

Sounds like deja vu on the fish passivity Keith :lol:  It is those times when a camera truly pays off....when they "mouth" the bait without moving or tightening the line and sometimes somehow suck the bait right off the hook as well :) We had a bunch of big gills that we had started up but lost because of being lip hooked....you could feel it give...

Those pike that apparently someone introduced a while back are pretty big now and they sure don't have much trouble snapping 2-4 lb test line. I'll bet there are a bunch of them swimming around with jigs dangling from their mouth. Hope to see you out there soon. Les