60# bloodrun copper anyone run it last year?

Looking to add a few coppers to my spread this season and liking the 60# bloodrun copper data. I like the idea of being able to get greater depths with less line out. Was wondering if anyone ran it can share opinions on it over the more standard 45# or 32#

Good read and interesting report.  I run otterboats so i think id be ok there. Im juts wondering if the difficulty deploying it and fighting fish on a 350 60# would be more or less of a PITA than reeling in a 500 45#.

Edited by Sammy Dog

Thanks Brian, as a prostaffer maybe you can answer one more. If you were going to rig up 2 60#'s what lengths would you start with?

im thinking a 250 and a 350.

The rest of my salmon spread is 2 riggers, 2 dipsys, and 2 FC's off otterboats

Seems like the old addages "bigger is better" and "more is better" operating here.....from my vantage point way too much weight and stiffness (bulky) to contend with and I would think that you'd get pretty sick of reeling it in after a couple times putting it through its paces.  It still makes more sense to me to use the 30 or 45 braided copper and adding weight (inline swiveled sinker) to get down if necessary. The drag is much less the thinner diameter the wire especially with a big king at the other end :lol:

The problem with adding weight to copper to get it deeper is it will impart a different action on the copper line.  I am not saying its wrong it just becomes a different presentation.  The same as 60pd copper versus 45pd copper in my book they are different presentations.  I personally am a fan of KISS (not the rock band but I will Jam to them on occasion).  The drag of that weight will create more slack while fighting a fish and it is already hard enough to keep the slack up on a copper rig. 

250 and 350 is good place to start.  I also advocate having 50lb backer.  That is my personal choice. Again to each his own we all have our own tricks of the trade that we feel comfortable with.

Tall Tails your points are well taken...I guess it is a trade off of sorts with the stiffness and weight of the larger diameter copper vs. adding weight and changing the "balance" and trajectory of the wire and its potential effect on the lure presentation. It is a consideration if rigging a NEW copper rig but for the money and hassle involved in changing over from an existing 45 lb. rig I guess I'll stick with your KISS principle :)

Edited by Sk8man

My 60lb setup is a 400ft Penn 345 on a 7ft custom fish doctor copper rod.  I will probably change it over to an Okuma Solterra this year.  Those are the best long copper reels on the market.  The power is unbelievable.

What model Solterra level wind or the high speed verison ? Thanks Dave

My most productive 60# setup was 300' on an Okuma Clarion 553. The stiffness of the copper takes some getting use to but to the guys already using stiff copper will not see much  of a difference. Some big advantages are it ability to achieve depth with less line out and it get to its depth faster and holds it truer. 

This article really puts it all out there. http://www.bloodruntackle.com/60lbcopper/ 

I have one 60lb rig, a 500' setup on a Penn 9/0 senator. I'm considering a 600-650 for a second 60lb rig this year (I have another reel lying around unused)

It's a tool like other rigs on the boat, it takes it's share of fish when they are deep. I don't really experience any problems with the 60 lb line compared to the lighter lines other than If you plan on using swivels at splice points, they will need to be a bit larger than with lighter copper.

On the plus side, it takes a lot less cranking of the reel to bring in 500' of 60 lb. compared to 750' of 45lb line.