Best in-line charger for my boat

Fishbowl836

I am looking for everyone’s input/feedback on the best in-line charger for my boat.  What charger would you recommend and what were the pros and cons’ including everything from cost, installation, speed of charge, and most of all is it still working today.  Unit will need to be a two bank charger and will be installed in the front of the boat therefore I will need to run extensions to the starting battery in the back of the boat. Other question is, does the unit get hot and do they need ventilation?  My plan is to install the unit in a cabinet area next to the deep cycle battery and then plug it in every night when I come back home and then unplug and go the next morning.  Also can you recommend the best place to purchase the unit?  In advance, thank you for your time.  Is spring coming?

Your post is interesting to me in that I am new to using deep cycle batteries and need a charger.    I looked at the boat mounted chargers but the good ones are beyond my budget so will probably just get an old fashioned battery charger.  I am also wondering if a "float charger" is desirable for maintaining the battery in the winter.

What is a "two bank" charger?

They get pretty hot while charging. Mine is in a bow compartment. I prop it open when charging but i don't know if it 's necessary. On mine if the batteries get too low i get a code that says it's too low to charge. Then i have to get out my other charger and give each battery a couple hours so the on board unit can take over. What a p.o.s. i'm sorry i don't remember what brand it is and the boat is stored so i can't look. I remember it was the least expensive one at bass. I will be getting a high end one when this one quits.

Fishbowl836,    I have been using a Pro Mariner- prosport12 for 2 years now and have had no problems, works flawlessly.Usually takes about  4- 6 hrs to charge up both batteries after a days fishing. Nice thing is it puts out 12 amps  or if 1 battery is low and the other is 75% it will sense that and put more amps to the battery that needs the most so it would put 10 amps to 1 and 2 amps to other. Has 3 charge profiles for lead acid std.- Gel and Hp AGM. I paid $119.00 on sale at Gander Mtn. 2 years ago  Have mine mounted in the open never gets hot, I would not put it in a small confine space it does get warm, something large enough to dissapate the heat. I also leave mine plugged in basicaly all the time when not fishing, it shuts off when batteries reach fully charged and will maintain batteries while sitting at 13.4VDC

My Pro Mariner has been plugged in 24/7 for 4 years straight. My battery is ready to go forever. Never has  it overcharged. It gives a tiny pulse of charge every few seconds to keep it topped off.

Edited by jimski2

I've had a minnkota digital 3-bank onboard charger on my boat for a year and a half (mk315d). Solid unit with the electronic smarts to properly charge and tend your batteries year round. 3 year warranty is comforting.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/battery_chargers/digital_chargers.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I also was just using a normal battery charger not being able to afford the very expensive Minn Kota charging units.  I live in Ontario and we have Canadian Tire.  Canadian Tire is great for putting products on sale...and really good sales...in fact, I hate it when I have to buy anything that is not on sale...within a month or two it will be.  But i bought one of their chargers, 3 bank charger,on sale for ~$149...has worked like a charm.  I don't fish 100 days a year and if I had the time to do that much fishing then it be worth the investment of a Minn Kota type of product, but for a weekend fisherman, and not every weekend with other family committments, for the money and given it has so far worked perfectly, I am pleased.