HDS5 question (gen1 vs gen2)

markmonkey1

Looking at GPS/sonar combo units and pretty much settled on an HDS5. The lake insight models come with 83/200khz transducer and the nautic models come with the 50/200 xducer. I'll be mainly trolling deep water in Lake Ontario. Think the 83/200 is sufficient?

Also,are Lk Ontario contour maps on either of these?

If you can afford it go with the new gen2 HDS. No warranty with a used unit. I strongly advice you go with a bigger screen then the 5 inch, again biggest you can afford and fit on your dash. Your gonna want to run it with a split screen, sonar/chartplotter. The HDS5 is kinda small for that. I've run a HDS10 gen1 last 2 seasons and have been very happy. Mine has the 83/200 ducer. We troll from spring to fall on Lake O,very happy with the picture we get.Don't know how I lived without a chartplotter on the boat! Was a learning curve getting to know unit, Lowrance tech support was great with advice etc..  

I have a Hds 7 Gen.1& love it.  I was told the gen 2 is the same other than the gen 2 has touch screen controls.  Also told the electronics inside are all the same from the 4" - 12" only the screen size is diff.  If you need to buy the x- ducer separate go for an Aimar p66 ='s more power & better pic.

Edited by lineman49

The short answer is yes.  I have an HDS5 200/83 and all is good. I generally stick to 200Hz, but will go to 83 if I'm hunting for where the fish are, as it covers more ground.

The lake insight map comes with very detailed maps of Lake O, at least they did when I bought mine. I have contours every 3ft. So you should be good.

Here's an excerpt from Lowrance's site:

Cone Angle
A transducer's cone angle determines its coverage area of the underwater world. The wider the cone angle, the greater the area that's covered. We offer a variety of 200 kHz transducers with either a wide (20°) or narrow (12°) cone angle. The 50 kHz transducers come with a 35° cone angle. The dual-frequency transducers come with both a narrow (12°) 200 kHz and a wide (35°) 50 kHz cone angles. And the dual-search transducers come with both a narrow (12°) 200 kHz and a wide (35°) 83 kHz cone angles.

Generally, use a wide cone angle for fishing shallow to medium depths. The narrow cone penetrates to deeper depths, but shows less fish and structure due to its narrow beam.

Edited by markbellino

I have read the 50 kHz is better than the 83 khz for picking up the thermocline. Anyone have experience in that regard?

Seems that the HDS5 units with inland lake mapping (I.e. Lake Ontario) have the 83/200, while the units with the coastal waters maps (nautical) have the 50/200. So I guess most of you have the 83 transducer...which is fine for Lake O?

FYI - Gen1 vs Gen2: Gen2 has 2x the memory and processor speed as G1. The G2 is wifi capable (with the added $200 wifi-1 module), this permits you to display the lowrance screen on your mobile device (smartphone or tablet).

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United