Quinte

Kevin J Legg

I made a run to Quinte when my buddy Landshark let me know the bite was on ( he caught 8 good fish Tuesday afternoon).. We fished last night and it was slow, a couple small fish. This morning I managed to catch 4 small 16" fish and one 24". I also lost a decent one at the hole and Grizz lost a good fish. Not what we were hoping for as season closes there on Sat. Grizz says the bite has been on and off all winter.

Way to go...at least you had a little action Kevin! I had heard its been a bit off up in Quinte this year...any truth to that? We had high hopes for the rivers here ourselves last week during the thaw, but we only managed handful and 1 good fish in 4 sessions. Im ready for open water and some sun!

justin

A couple weeks of walleye season left. I'd like to get out on either Ogdensburg, Mud Bay or Chamount before closing. Hard to believe we were fishing open water near Mud Bay right before closing a couple years back. I'm also looking forward to hitting the perch when they turn on. I like to freeze up a mess of them and let the hog walleyes go.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

I have heard the blow ice is really bad at mud bay talked with a marina owner and he said most guys are fishing chaumont this year. He said you can spend alot of time drilling holes tring to find fishable holes due to the ice. I thought about going down sat afternoon just to see for my self.

I also heard Mud Bay was tough. 6' of slush below the ice has some pushing PVC pipe through the holes and skimming slush out just to be able to fish. I will likely hit Chamount Friday or Saturday. My wife is going to be away for a couple weeks so I will be spending a lot of time on the ice. 

I also heard Mud Bay was tough. 6' of slush below the ice has some pushing PVC pipe through the holes and skimming slush out just to be able to fish.

That's a level of dedication I didn't know about.  I am impressed.  I decided to pack it in until the opener.  If it warms up a bit I can start on the Honey Do list.