What do you use to clean/shine your boat?

Hey Guys & Gals,

What do you suggest or use to clean the outside of your boats. I just recently got a new fishing boat. When I received the boat it had been sitting outside for a few years and had about an inch of moss on the deck. I restored it this winter and cleaned and replaced a few things inside the boat and now im just finishing up on the outside. I have used several different kind of boat cleaners and have tried waxing and buffing the boat but the shiny finishes just goes away 10-15 minutes later or a day or two.

what do you guys use or suggest to clean the outside to give it a glossy finish and keep it staying shiny? Any info will help. The products I got from other forums didn't work.

Thank you for your time!

Thanks, John Shaw

John  Look into  3m boat cleaner for removing light oxidation/dirt.  Another product to try is Gel Gloss.  It is meant for fiberglass gel coats.  If the gel coat is gone then you may have to look into a product called Poli Glo   If gel coat is good after cleaning use  Woody's Wax Products. They make a hull wax(called XXX) and a topside wax.  The XXX wax is a son of a B to put on but works very well.  The topside wax is easy to apply and works great for gunnels and hard tops, etc.  In both cases the boat must be CLEAN otherwise it will seal in the dirt.   Good luck I hope this helps!

Lou

I went through this not so long ago and have a few suggestions. For cleaning, the BEST stuff ive ever gotten my hands on is MARTIN'S. Its made right  here in Tonawanda and its awesome. You can buy it by the gallon at Hectors Hardware, and Buffalo RV amongst others. If your boat is "chalky" (oxidation) looking after clean and dry you have two options- the easy way or the hard way. Hard way- wet sand, buff at high speed with compound, then wax to seal it. Its alot of elbow grease, super time consuming, but the right way to do it. PolyGlo (or similar products)  is a second "easy" option. Clean it super good (or you'll seal in dirt) then apply like 7 or 8 coats of this milky colored product. The end result is fantastic on old oxidized boats.This however is like putting on a clear coat over a waxed floor. You'll need to reapply yearly, but it works great (and saves lots of hours of work)... My $.02  

Wash the entire boat with "On and Off".  Then buff the boat using 3M Finesse It 2 and a variable speed buffer.  After that, wax the boat with Collinite Fleet Wax.  Should look awesome.  Be careful using the On and Off around aluminum trailers....it will eat it up.