Anyone use weights with stickbaits ?

Is it a good idea to run some stickbaits w/ a few split shots or a keel sinker when fishing for browns?  Thinking this may help to cover more depths with the spread of rods, or does it mess with the action of the lure..  Fished this past weekend and 4 out of 5 fish were on stickbaits with no weight.. other one had three split shots on it.  Was just wondering if anyone has experience running weights on the line and if so, if split shots or keel sinkers are even the best options. Thanks.

We did well this past weekend running all of are Stick baits 50 or 60 behind are boards with no weights and a few are relatively small baits but it don't hurt to put some weight on. We were in real shallow 5ft at times.

As others have said weights are fine in deeper water. I generally simply put various size and combinations of splitshot about 5' up from the stick bait or spoon. If I'm in shallow water (8" or less) I generally run with either no weight or a small split shot ahead of the spoon. This alows me to troll in water as shallow as 5-6'.