Canadian License

Thinking we are going to need one this year to get into any decent king action during the Spring LOC. Just looking for some advice and where/how/when I can get one and the cost? Is there anything I else I need to consider to fish Canadian waters in our own boat?

Also, typically how far west would I have to run from the Niagara river to start getting in to some Kings?

Thanks in advance,

DR

You better be VERY prepared if you're making that trip. As already stated besides a Canadian license you will need an outdoors card, passport or enhanced license and a working cell phone to call customs after you cross the invisible line. ALSO......everyone on board has to be "Canadian legal"--- meaning no DUIs, PFAs or any felony convictions of any kind EVER! It's almost as if they don't want our money any more. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fishing only Outdoor card is $10, 1 year conservation fishing is $50. 10 day is around $30 so if you are going to cross the line more than 1 time more than 10 days apart in the calendar year you might as well go for the 1 year dose. Very easy to do on line. I wish our system was as simple and I really like the plastic card instead of a limp piece of paper that gets ruined easily.

I got my both my Canadian hunting and fishing license this year. Since I duck hunt in Canada I also got a PAL permit for guns and a Nexis card. This made it easier to check in by phone when hunting and going to shore or anchoring. Everyone on board needed a Nexus card but once we figured it out it worked pretty well. I believe as long as you don't drop anchor or go to shore you can report in by phone while fishing. As said, you need passports and bithdates for all on board. They will issue you a number for the day which you must write down. 

Just stopping without anchoring while crossing Canadian waters can be considered a violation. The best way to fish Canadian waters is to trailer your boat over the bridges with your passports or enhanced driver's licenses and then your USA and Canadian troubles are safer for you. The St. Catherine's Game and Fish Club has a fine launch at Port Dahlousie to use. Remember a DUI violation can deny entry for your crew.

One memorable outing their in the early spring fishing resulted in ten kings landed near shore waters before 8:00AM. J13 Rapala's were hot and after the sun came up above the horizon we moved to 50 foot of water with slow speed light spoons where another ten kings were landed. Water temperatures below 45 F. had silver and blue spoons hot and silver and green above 45 degrees F. Jim

Edited by jimski2

Thanks all. So you are mainly fishing near shore with boards for Kings down there? 

I called the Ontario Natural Resources number from Paul. They gave me a number for the "Simplied Cell Phone Reporting for Private Boaters in Border Waters" and said we need to call that number before entering Canadian waters and report in. Also, need passport/enhanced license as well as outdoor card & conservation license. Didn't make it seem too difficult.

Thanks again,

DR