InFisherman.

I am interested in reading this article, is it the latest infishermen magazine? whats on the cover?

600 feet down? sounds rougher than fishing out of fairhaven! :shock:

thanks

jax

I read it too. 436' down with a 24 lb cannonball was his feat last year and this year he plans on going alot deeper :shock: . Jax, it is the latest issue-April/May.

My old x16 paper graph would show a lot of fish in deeper water when I would change the ping speed from 200ms to 400ms. These fish were down to 200 feet and I never thought of trying that deep. I think they were that deep to escape the U/V rays from the high sun. Who knows if they were even deeper if I changed the ping speed to 800ms? If you see fish down to 110 feet, don't believe there are not fish deeper, it is just what your graph is set for.

I have marked big schools of fish at Fairhaven and Sodus in 300fow in the spring and in October on the bottom with big schools of bait over them. I was running a Raytheon 797 that would go deep. Great unit. I had a charter out of Sodus in October and party member switched the graft from 120ft to show bottom and it was loaded with fish. Two hundred ft. of wire won't go there so to make them happy I put a 6or8" glow stick on the weight and a spoon about 6ft. behind it and dropped it down about 180ft. of wire. I got a nice King for a gentlemen from Ca. who fished for them there and Alaska and got his first one that day. Since then I've thought about it and I think I could have used a dipsie on 0 and let out about 300ft. of wire and stacked it on the rigger and got down to those fish. That do you think.

Dear WW IV, If you attempt (very deep trolling...250+) this on Lake Ontario, be prepared for some tackle & rigger problems NW US fisherman on Lake Chelan in Washington State start out 300 down in the morning and reach to 400 as the sun rises in the sky. This lake is fed by crystal clear mountain snow melt and the lake does not have a thermocline. The water is gin clear! Trolling speeds are 1.0 to 1.5 mph. Water temp is 35 to 37 degrees everywhere. They catch Chinook salmon(to 22 lbs) and kokanee salmon (1 to 3 lbs.) using very small lures such as "peanut rigs etc." Turns are especially dangerous as rigger weights tend to tangle easily with 300 ft. of cable out! Batteries give up the ghost regularly if you want to change tackle often! These depths limit your real fishing time and add more cost "to catch a fish". I have fished 200 down in LO and caught an occassional Chinook, ONLY when nothing else works!...And don't try it in a cross wind with 3 ft. waves either!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

How you doing Mr. borderline,I don't have the boat or the money it would take to set up a boat for that kind of trolling but the days I did see these fish that deep there was no wind at all. I think vertical Jigging would have worked in those conditions Or maybe a dropshot rig. If you get a chance check out the article,it interesting.Have a good season. WW.

Wow You guys are talking about pretty much trolling over deep water shipwrecks. Those shipwreck finders would love to have the paper graphs of us fishing over 200ft. in Lake O. I wonder how many times we have trolled our cannonballs over 200 ft deep, and hit some old shipwreck that has been down there for longer years than we have been around. I guess the schooner MILAN is in about 300 ft of water off of the OAK, and that boat still has it's masts up. Old Boat(SUBMERGED) , baitfish sanctuary, feeding grounds, It has got to be a smorgasborg for everything from plankton and all our invasive species to what we are after, trout and salmon.

No unfortunately not. Those 2 shipwreck divers do though. I don't even have GPS on my small boat yet. I don't go out over 200fow though. I really wonder how many ships are sitting at the bottom of the lake around the Oak? My Grandfather was born in 1912 and his Father was a commercial fisherman on lake O back then. If you have ever been to Browns Berry Patch and seen the old photos, my great grandfather , and some other family are in the photos of the fish catches, and the farming. Those 2 shipwreck divers should have the exact gps coordinates for the Milan, though. Like any of us would be able to get them from those guys? - Rock on -Mick