Canandaigua Derby 6-8-14

I wish I had some excting details and information for you but ....it was a tough day at the "fishing office". We trolled from 6 AM until 2 PM and all we had to show for it was one rainbow about 16 inches and a 19 inch brown. Flasher/fly and Spinnny/fly,  downriggers with sliders and a 5 color lead core and a TX 44 board with both sticks and spoons were used as well as top line tried with an assortment of lures used. We decided not to go with the "rigs today and although we saw a bunch out there using them they did not seem to be doing anything more than us  either. Two hits on my homemade fly that didn't take hold and that was it. We marked very few fish or bait. A lot of cotton in the water and also a lot of algae and debris at the south end (we launched at Woodville today). It actually resembled a lake "turnover". I even tried to work the scum line in and out in the middle of the lake but no action. The shallow areas at the east side and all sorts of debris and although it looked like fish and bait we interpreted it as suspended debris because of what we saw on the surface.  Upon reflection it may have been fish and bait because we marked little of either out deep all morning.  My hunch is that the live bait still fishermen we saw in close over there may have had a field day on the fish in there but although I got my start that way I can't bring myself to do it anymore these days even for derbies :lol:  A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work :)

Heck of a nice Finger Lakes brown (or fish for that matter) That one must have eaten a couple more sawbellies than Joshwa's....isn't that the way it goes ion derbies though? Both real nice fish and the excitement of it all is what it is really all about.....I'm really beat and it will take me a week to get my equipment straightened out and the boat clean again (ever notice how those lakers like to make their statement right when you get them over or in the boat and that stuff when it dries is tough to get off without scrubbing :lol:

I must've text the wrong last two numbers on the brown I said was winning. It was a 14.75. Lol the next biggest fish was a 13lb. Laker. Yeah Sk8man I know exactly what your saying about them Lakers. They make a mess of anything they touch. I think they crap all over just to try and get some revenge for being caught! Haha.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

les the comment about the bait fishermen is spot on.. I talked to a couple guys at the north end that were drifting with sawbellies and they had the 3rd place bow in their cooler (7.7 I believe?). They said that they were 7 for 7 Sunday and 9 for 9 Saturday (heck of a lot better than I did) spot on for the week of equipment organizing and boat cleaning too.. my gear is a wreck haha