Any advice on fishing out of Olcott this weekend? This is only our second salmon trip, last year we fished the end of July, so I figure things have to be a bit different. It seems pretty quite report wise from that area. We are more interested in having fun catching some fish than targeting a specific species.  Thanks for any help/advice.

That was the program last weekend Gill-T. 300-400 FOW. Top 40'. 37 degrees down 37' in 350' We found a nice pocket of water and picked up a 20# king and some teenagers but I'm sure its all gone now. An equal amount of Lakers out there in the top water as well. It was a great day to have the family out there. We lost a few fish in our spread since they were hitting so close to the boat. Ended up running only 2 divers on 3's and 2 riggers with one cheated. I could see my sliders under the surface at the back of the boat. Most fish were caught on the 30' rigger one color SWR or its free slider (+ or - 15' down) on the King Slammin custom spoon. Going to be blowing out of the West pretty good tomorrow so warmer water might work its way back in. I'll be out Sunday with my Grandad, Father in law, and my son.

Each species has a temp range they are most active in. They will feed outside of these ranges however. I usually fish temp breaks/ scum lines this time of year. As the surface warms, it becomes a depth approach and that's when probes become more important. I like to fish at least one line in the ice water at all times, and alot of times that's the one that hooks a screamer.

This time of year the majority of food web is just getting cranked up in the upper warmer water layers.  Think Photosynthesis-phytoplankton-zooplankton-baitfish-salmon and trout.  If you look at the map I put up, you can tell there is an upwelling happening close to shore (colder less productive water that is probably oxygen poor).

Of course those conditions can change overnight.  Check before you head out.

Edited by Gill-T

We did well early on. Went 8 for 10 all salmon. Biggest was about 20#. King Slammin special spoon and Mt Dew echip/ hammer fly did most of the damage. 400' plus. Had my buddy's son aboard and he did most of the catching. His dad passed away a few yrs ago and Fathers Day is always tough. We lost our water after 8:30 and only got one more until 11:30 when we pulled rods.

post-149813-14028569584107_thumb.jpg

post-149813-14028569825386_thumb.jpg

7 for 12. All in 320 - 450. FF at 50 took two the rest came on 5 color LC off boards. 1 king. 1 brown. 1 steelhead. 1 laker. 3 coho. Is that a Lake Ontario grand slam. This is a new fishery to us. So far it has been a blast. My kids are having fun.once again thanks for all the post and help.