Hard Steering

disconnect from motor , move motor by hand ( hard to move ?  should be very easy ), then try steering if it still stiff you may as well get ready to replace....... temp fix is to remove it from the tube tru motor ( use a brush too clean and a light lube on the inside of that ) put a rubber hose over the cable , load up with a solvent , move the steering wheel to full in each direction a number of times , then let the junk drain out and repeat..... I have also added some air pressure to the hose forcing in up in farther but it's a pain to do that alone........ this will only help for a while you will still need at some time to replace it. 

I 2nd the hydraulic steering, best investment I made.  I spent $200+ on a whole new No feedback cable kit just to have it go bad in 1 season.  I will never go back to cable steering.

Edited by Chas0218

a cable properly installed should last well over 20 years unless neglected,the actual cable runs through a plastic or teflon sleeve wrapped by wire then coated and thats what you see ..the sleeve or guide has worn most often at a bend now yer rubbing metal to metal for lack of better terms some where ..if the outer coating gets nicked of worn away and water gets on it it could also be "swelling" from rust due to water intrusion..DONT buy a cheep cable the guide and outer covering are not of good material...Give Hank at L&M repair a call in Port Bay Ny and he will get ya set up with good stuff..Also too long or to short of cable can be a problem if not routed proper..