Grenadier/ Fox Island skunk

Kevin J Legg

Hit the lake this morning but came up empty. Fished an 8 rod spread off boards and riggers in 7-45 fow and didn't mark much as far as bait or fish. Even tried for smallmouths and only got a few small ones. Not one of my more successful outings but I wanted to hit a different area. Should have fished the river!

Fished the river tonight lost a nice fish that felt like it could have been a walleye and caught one eye about 4.5lbs. I also caught a couple small bass. I caught the walleye in about 38 fow on a homemade uzick spinner and a 3oz bottom bouncer. Probably try again sat night or maybe sun. morning.

Fished the river tonight with my wife and daughter. Wen caught one limit of smallies all decent size ranging from 2 to 4 lbs we through them all back we were targeting eyes. My daughter caught the biggest one on a harness in about 35 fow and the rest came on homemade bouncer 3oz with a # 11 rapala all in about 35 to 40 fow. I will try to get down there either thurs. or fri. morning and give the eyes another try and to see what the morning s are like. I would rather fish mornings but it is hard trying to get everyone schedule to work out. Maybe I will see you down there one of those mornings Kevin if I can make it down there. I got a new boat back to basics my favorite its another Alaskan green with a 60 hp Honda. I will be looking for you if I come down.

I generally fish mornings as there is virtually not traffic so maybe I'll see you out. Trapper how do you get by trolling sticks with 3 ounce weights? I make my own and they are probably 10 ounce and trolling into the current I still deal with drop back.

That was something I just tried Kevin. I seemed to have to let out a lot more line than I like to get down, I am gonna try to come up with some heavier ones .I have some .50cal brass that I have filled and they are about 9oz I have also tried them but only with harnesses. Last night was the first time I tried it with any kind of crankbait I know I have read a lot of your post and you are very successful using them. I hold my fishing rod and it gets hard on the wrist and forearm by the end of the night. I have rod holders but I would rather have it in my hand.

Trapper, your right about a sore wrist and hand but I've tried riggers and lead core and they aren't as effective as you can't follow the changing bottom contour. Rod holders can't do it right either. Lots of guys do well on jigs, jigging spoons and harnesses but I need to become better and more confident doing that as I seem to catch more with the sticks and bottom bouncers. It is a killer on carpel tunnel.