sportcraft or thompson help,please

was gonna upgrade from a 19 fisher proavenger SD I/O  to a 24 or 25 boat! 2 boats caught my eye!! but was wondering one thing! the sportcraft seems to be lower in the water meaning your rails are about to your theigh! where in the thompson the rails r to your waist!! does this mean anything like better in the waves or no? seems the thompson would be more stable in high waves! any input would be greatly appreciated before i buy one! thank you

My current boat is a Sea Pro 2509 which the gunnels are about thigh high and work out great for reaching over to set the riggers and netting. I looked at a 27' sportcraft and loved the design with the center motor cause the rear deck was wide open. I grew up in Thomson and Penn Yan boats and they had there advantages as well but it is all depend on how you set the boat up and what your comfort level is. If you visualize it in your head when your looking at them it will help you to make up your mind easier.

Both are great boats,but whichever you decide, get a survey.  Both brands are famous for rotten stringers/transoms etc.  I love how my Thompson fishes, but the facts is the facts.

Tim

I just started fishing a 24' Thompson this year. Love it so far. The gunnels are very high which can make dealing with the downrigger balls a little tough at times if you are using a subtroll, but not intolerable. If you have a good reach you're OK. The boat handles rougher weather well. There is definitely ample room in the back when dealing with doubles and a net minder all at once. Mine has a 4.3 with an 8HP kicker and the fuel economy is great. I was running an 18' aluminum before this with a 70HP outboard and dragging a drift bag when trolling. It only costs me 5-10 dollars more per trip now average. In the spring when we were sticking close to port it was actually cheaper per trip. I would agree that a survey is a must though. Your gonna want a bucket for the men's room though, the gunnels are just high enough.

Is there a boat  Manufacture  that has designed a fishing  boat in the 19-25 foot range  tin or glass  just for the  great lakes cold water fisheries, with  places  to easily mount riggers, rod holders,planner mounts  and all  the  electronics  that we  use.?

Is there a boat  Manufacture  that has designed a fishing  boat in the 19-25 foot range  tin or glass  just for the  great lakes cold water fisheries, with  places  to easily mount riggers, rod holders,planner mounts  and all  the  electronics  that we  use.?

I would have to say the Grady White or Boston Whaler but you can make any boat work. I had a 19 tracker that had 4 riggers and a triple set of rod holder on each side us a planer mast mounted in front seat pedestal. Now I have a Sea Pro that has less on it.

The problem with the sportcraft, assuming you're looking at the 252, is they have no headroom. Other than that they r sharp looking. I'm 5'8" and had to crouch. Baha makes the best 25 fter IMO

The problem with the sportcraft, assuming you're looking at the 252, is they have no headroom. Other than that they r sharp looking. I'm 5'8" and had to crouch. Baha makes the best 25 fter IMO

That's why I run the deck and let the driving up to my son.