Canandaigua 7-18-14 AM

Signalman and I hit the lake about 6AM in my rig and we started on the west side at the water plant drop off and trolled south with slight south wind which became more intense as the morning rolled on. We went with 5 rods as I didn't feel like screwing with the boards....two downriggers with cheaters set at 40 and 45 ft respectively, a 5 color leadcore with spoon unweighted, a wire rig with  green and glow Echip flasher with bluish white home made fly, and wire rig with wonderbread Spin Doc with white home made fly. In short we nailed a couple small lakers on the flies in about 50 over 120ft or so and trolled to the condos and the wind died down on the way we also had a savage hit obn the flasherfly which bent the rod over real good and took out the drag and then off before we could pick up the rod (about 200 ft. and out120...think it was a nice rainbow from the looks of it). We turned and trolled north on the east side and put a couple 5 leader rigs out  while going toward the middle and angled into 100 ft or so and then back out and when we hit 206 ft the side rig bent and the drag went out and Mike got it and it headed for bottom so I was thinking good sized laker but when it did finally come up it was a nice about 5 lb rainbow which hit a doctored up (nail polish) Sutton 35. We were trolling in the 2.7 to 2.8 range. We trolled north for quite awhile without marking much or seeing any bait. In fact we didn't mark hardly any bait and just a few fish mostly up high and could have been anything and a couple lakers hugging bottom for dear life :)  and that was it.  Mike and I had a great time chatting about old times and fishing stuff and he intuitively did whatever necessary whether driving or handling the equipment...a real pleasure fishing with someone who is very experienced  whether rigs or any of the other stuff and without having to say anything...he just took up the slack naturally as though he was on his own boat...cool! Things on Canandaigua are still a puzzle and it is far from the lake I have fished in the past...few fish and bait seen very strange. We had to keep the rainbow as he was hooked deep and out through the eye which probably explains why he didn't jump. We quit about 12:45 PM

P.S. I forgot to mention the weeds were mostly intermittent and located out toward the middle and the fleas were there but not too terrible

post-145411-0-23309900-1405709701_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for the report, Les.  I hope to get out again on Monday.  I'll be working at Seagers tomorrow so I'll see how the LUND owners do in the tournament.  We'll post results on the Seager Marine website.

Ted

Ah.... I forgot about the tournament Ted ....man....I hope today's boat traffic isn't a sign of things to come for tomorrow ( but you know how the weekends are at this end) .  I hope they see more fish and bait on the screen than we did today....I 'll be in Ithaca tomorrow but will be interested to see the results of the tournament. Thanks.