Li'l Bit at the Oak 7/20-7/22

Slow going for our first trip of the season. We only boated 8 fish over three days - not enough to establish a pattern. No skunks on the boat. Most fish were caught on bright green things in the upper 80' of the water column. Did run into our usual share of problems though. First problem was that our subtroll didn't work so we were fishing blind. Hoping a new power plug fixes that for the next trip. Second problem was we lost RPMs on the brand new engine on the way back in Sunday evening. The guys at Lake Breeze Marina had it correctly diagnosed as a clogged fuel filter bright and early Monday morning so we didn't lose too much of the day. Finally I was bringing the trailer home today to work on it while the boat is in the water and broke a spring at Mansfield,PA. I ratchet strapped it back together and limped down the road to Mill Hall where I broke another spring on the other axle, so the trailer is now in a repair shop in Mill Hall. The good thing is they will make arrangements for me to pick it up on a weekend so I don't have to burn vacation (fishing) time to pick it up. Can't wait to do this all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Surprised u broke springs on an empty trailer?

I'm guessing the springs broke with the boat on the trailer but the weight of the boat kept them from pulling apart.  With the weight off, it could separate and what I experienced was separation of already broken springs.  I am really fortunate that the second separation happened when I was going only about 15 mph on a side road as it let the rear axle loose and lift the trailer off the road and jackknife the trailer.