Headed to the river!

floatfisher

Just thought I would post this here even though I wont be specifically targeting walleye.  Not sure where to poist about the StLawrance river to get some replies.  Anyway, taking the family up for a week to a cottage on an island in Goose bay.  Can anyone give me a few tips for this area?  I am mainly going to be targeting the smallies out in the main channel, but hoping to get a few pike for the kids and hoping I can get the chance to tangle with a muskey and some walleye.  I will be mainly using tubes/jigs and various rapalas and walleyedivers unless there are some hot baits up there right now.

Mainly want to make sure I get into the fish to keep the kids interested, and looking for info for the Goose bay/Kring point area. 

How is the water up there?  I have heard it is a little chilly this year, hope it is not too bad so the kids and I can do some swimming and snorkeling.  Lol!

Thanks for any input!!

Smallmouths should be on shoals along the channel in 30 fow or more (perhaps as deep as 80 feet). Crabs and worms are working. May get largemouths on Senkos in weed pockets in shallower water. Walleyes are on channel shoals with current. Night bite is best but they can be caught early and late. Try trolling deep divers in 20-35 fow. Whiskey Island Shoal is a spot not too far from Krings that holds bass and walleyes. I haven't fished northerns but did catch one inside Diamond Island Shoal in front of Krings throwing a spoon a couple weeks ago in 20 fow. As for muskies, good luck, they're out there but not easily targeted. Most caught this time of year are caught accidentally.

I've made many post on the Alex Bay region of the river you might want to check.

Thanks kevin! I have been reading your posts all along. Just wondered about the goose bay region. I picked up a couple trips from you, trust me.

I have caught quite a few smallies and walleyes from the Chemung river, it is just bigger water up there.

I don't post a lot here as it is not what I am most knowledgeable in. Mostly in the trib section and this old boat sections as my boat is not the most reliable.

Thanks again!

Sent from my XT1060 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am not sure what size boat you have but they also get walleyes up off Chippewa point and by sisters island. I have also caught some huge small mouth while trolling for eyes up that way. There is also a shoal just out side Krings point to the right that hold eyes I have been told never fished right there,but have fished whiskey shoal where Kevin mentioned and up by Chippewa. Good luck.

I have two boats I use I have a Lund Alaskan 1600 and a 14'Lund SSV. You an get away with a 14' early mornings and late evenings, durning the day time especially on weekends alot of boat traffic, I would suggest at least a 16' but it is just my personal preference.

I havent been there in years and back then I was in a canoe while camping with my parents.  Now that I am the parent, I have a 17 foot Spectrum fish and ski boat.  The previous owners used to take it out trolling on Erie quite a bit.

Thanks for the tips trapper!  I plan on running around a bit to find some fish for the kids and will look at checking out Chippewa at some point as long as the boat is running good.  A person that works with me was telling me about Whiskey Island.  Told me that it is a good spot to stop and have the kids swim and do some snorkeling.

My son (who is just about 9) is really looking forward to the trip.  We fished the Chemung a couple times over the weekend and he is becoming quite the fisherkid.  I told him that the bass will be 2 to 4 times bigger up there and his eyes got huge with excitement....  I will post some reports if we get into them!!

Thanks again for the tips