Oil for my Johnson 225

longbow

I bought a gallon of Syntech TC W3 blue colored oil for my rebuilt 95 Ocean Runner 225.  I bought it cause it was 12 bucks a gallon.  The other oil I used from Arny's was 40 bucks a gallon.  My wife is a chemical engineer and she looked at both and couldn't discern a real difference in either, such as one being better than the other.  Both are synthetic blends and colored blue.  Huge price difference though.  So what say any of you folks.  I haven't opened the jug yet so I can always take it back etc.etc.  thanks

I just purchased twin Evinrude 200 HO's for my boat and was told any TC W3 oil will work but if you have a warranty and something were to happen mechanically they might not honor the warranty cause you didn't use the manufacturer's brand of oil. Outside of that if your not concerned then it shouldn't be a problem.

Last I checked...Yamaha, evinrude, Johnson, Mercury or any engine manufacturer never owned refineries or oil wells. Neither does Walmart or cabelas, bass pro and such. Same line different bottle label more money for lures or 5 more gallons of gasoline! Warranty? Yup I used manufacturer recommended oil and gasoline. FIX IT!

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Last I checked...Yamaha, evinrude, Johnson, Mercury or any engine manufacturer never owned refineries or oil wells. Neither does Walmart or cabelas, bass pro and such. Same line different bottle label more money for lures or 5 more gallons of gasoline! Warranty? Yup I used manufacturer recommended oil and gasoline. FIX IT!

Cent frum my notso smart fone

What he said x2.

I would recommend a synthetic blend on the older motors instead of full synthetic.  It is the best of both worlds, low ash and less carbon but all the same lubricating.  Fully synthetic wasn't around when my engine was built (1988) so I stay away from it.  If it is a newer engine (2000 or newer) I would only run fully synthetic.

I run the Pennzoil synthetic blend XLF and Pennzoil Premium Plus.

With a fresh rebuild be sure to add oil to your gas as well as running your oil injection.

Edited by Chas0218

I just purchased twin Evinrude 200 HO's for my boat and was told any TC W3 oil will work but if you have a warranty and something were to happen mechanically they might not honor the warranty cause you didn't use the manufacturer's brand of oil. Outside of that if your not concerned then it shouldn't be a problem.

Evinrude learned the hard way that not honoring a warranty because a different oil with the same quality as the house brand was used is an illegal action.

Edited by rolmops

I had the same issue on my bass boat when I had a new power head put on the Mercury. They said they wouldn't honor it if they found different oil was used. I had a way around that because the Quicksilver brand is owned by Mercury and half the cost. Now with these new motors, the actual marina that installed them filled both tanks with the XD50 instead of the XD100 for direct injection and I have said something to them cause now that I switched it out they do run different.

i have always used the manufacturers oil in the motor in all my motors for years.after reading a post over the winter on here about alot of guys using the supertech from walmart at 12 bucks a gallon i decided to try it this year.i have twin 200 older yammies and went through 6 gallons so far this year and the motors are still running strong.just like was stated above,oil is oil,for the most part,like synthetic or synthetic blend.so i spent 70 bucks or so instead of colse to 300 bucks had i bought yammie oil.