Smaller baits on Waneta?

I have fished Waneta in the fall for the past 4 seasons and have only 1 catch and release to show for it.  I am NOT discouraged.  This is what I love about fishing.  Learning and mastering.  Because I only have 1 fish to show for the days I've spent there, I don't really have an idea of what size bait is more effective there.  I'm guessing the musky run somewhat smaller there?  Would a Storm Flatstick be a reasonable size bait?  I have quite a varied size and type of lures.  I cast in the very early morning until I'm bored/exhausted and then troll.  Trolling speed has averaged 3.5mph.  My next outing I will try a faster troll. 

Looking for any input...

post-142867-1413415751063_thumb.jpgthat'sa waneta musky on a bass size spinnerbait. post-142867-14134158528927_thumb.jpgthis is a good spot there. Who really knows when it comes to baits? I have also caught fish there on a ghostail,3"redeye,a4" redeye,a monster tube,a rabid squirll spinnerbait,a baker bait,a savage gear eel,and a rapala. The biggest one i ever caught anywhere was on a 6 inch jointed rapala. The biggest ever in my boat was on a 3" gold redeye. If you use smaller baits be sure to upsize the hooks. Smaller baits often have small wire hooks that will straighten out and break your heart. I believe when a pike or musky decides to eat you can be throwing your toothbrush or a can opener and you'll get bit. Keep calm and cast on.

"I believe when a pike or musky decides to eat you can be throwing your toothbrush or a can opener and you'll get bit. Keep calm and cast on."........................Not particularly helpful here, but just to say, I've caught both pike and smallies on those joke can opener lures. Each time the fish were schooled and hitting like there was no tomorrow.....so the gag lure had to go out! And it worked. Just like old man says.

Small to medium size baits. For casting try jerk baits, glide baits.

Would you consider a rapala j-11 small, and j-13 medium?

In response to above, I had considered spoons but didnt think trolling at such a fast speed they would have the proper action.

Thanks to all. It's all very valuable to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by MadPerry

I find that I get my pike & Musky bites more  from Mid morn till 3 pm. On sunny Bluebird days after rain  I find they  like to get up in the weeds. I like a big in line spinner or large straight stickbait ( reel fast/eratic ,stop let float up, repeat) over weed tops & holes. . I also like a Suick near weed edges & over shallow structure.Try and  Reverse your gameplan & troll or jig first till they get more active, then cast.

I don't fish down there but fish are fish.

A friend of mine just bought a cottage down there this fall , so you may see me down there sometime. I told him about the musky there. He heard but is not a fisherman so I will have to school him.

Would you consider a rapala j-11 small, and j-13 medium?

In response to above, I had considered spoons but didnt think trolling at such a fast speed they would have the proper action.

Thanks to all. It's all very valuable to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For Rapala, use the Jointed X Rapor the Super Shad Rap.

Spoons work casting or trolling slow. If you want to get them deeper use a trolling weight or snap weight.