deep water catch and release.

This morning listening to the radio,I heard about a different and effective way to catch and release deep caught fish. Some scientists studied the survival rate of deep caught fish by tagging and releasing. Some were released at the surface while others were sent back down fast to the depth they were caught at.A few cages with the fish that were sent deep down were hauled back up after 2 days and although it was expected to find dead fish, the fish had survived and did well.  Using simple methods such as weighted down milk crates with an opening mechanism were then tried to send the fish down fast and release them deep down.

Surface released fish had a low survival rate even when the air bladder was emptied out. The deep releases were highly succesful.

The scientists mentioned that they worked closely together with sports fisherman while doing their project and lots of input from these fishermen caused the project to be considered a succes.

( I heard it on NPR)

Edited by rolmops

Maybe hooking up a scotty pad on the back of a rigger ball and attached to the lower jaw of a fish to send them down? Of course they would need enough energy to wiggle free once down at depth.

I think there is a release for doing it.I remember reading about it on a salt water website.I think you can set the depth and the water pressure releases.Been a year or so since I read about it and don't remember all of the details.They use them on Grouper and other deep water fish.It said the same that the survival rate was much higher than venting.Thought it would be great for Lake Trout when I read about it.  

on Flaming Gorge res. they send them down with a 3 pound weight with a welding rod hooked at the top pointing downward at 45 deg The rod is put through the thin part of the mouth and lowered on a rope. A sharp tug upward on the rope releases the fish. This is all well and good if you are dead in the water but not so good for use at trolling speed. My late son and I worked hard at a better ways to release lakers and we found a steady slow retrieve and landing the fish with "Boga style grips" We use the Berkley grip that does not have a scale and is much cheaper. Netting a fish removes slim, they bang around on the deck and is just traumatic. Fish that we release with the grips go down like a rocket ship, no flopping around on the surface like netted fish. Of course if you can leave the fish in the water and release him with pliers at the side of the boat that is even better. The biggest thing I have seen is people reel them in to fast. If they come up slow they can regulate the swim bladder.If you google Flaming Gorge laker you can get some pics of 40 pound lakers. Wes