Nite-nite

Gill-T

She has gone Isothermic.  Kings going to take a little nap for a couple of months.  Looks like the timing of Isothermy is similar to last year so.........get your leadcore set-ups ready for spring.

ovwt-00_zpsb2831647.gif

Compare to last years chart. Differences I noticed. Last year the last bit of 40 degree water persisted longest off Rochester....and no surprise they had Kings and the West end had less than usual. This year, the 40 degree water was persistent longest in it's "usual" location offshore in Niagara County. So....hopefully we will have the usual overload of Kings waiting for us West-enders come May.

ovwt-00_zps63790ef0.gif

Last year had the unusual Phenom. of the Lake itself warmed up faster and before the Niagara River did (because of heavy ice cover and constant supply of COLD Lake Erie water coming down for extended period last winter) This limits the Niagara rivers normaly attractive spring quality on bait fish.. When this happens the "Rochester Basin area has BY FAR the most natural supply of lake shoreline warming capability. With numerous bays (Irondequoite & Braddocks) --Genesee River-adds tremendous "water color/cover)  and  endless SHALLOW ponds in between, along with many feeder creeks. This shallow water shoreline produces the warmer water "areas" and water color needed and sought after by baitfish, (most important- ideal spring spawning conditions for ALEWIFES). Spring kings will hunt/search this entire lake over and over to find/feed on Alewifes OR they will stress while searching-thus skinny king conditions. 2014  Rochester had it's most consistant king fishery EVER starting in spring and lasted MONTHS. Next couple of weeks weather patterns will determine the ice cover/temps for this year.

As a side note-living on the lake shore I have only had 1 lake diver duck "rest" in my yard this year. last year I had over 30 birds in yard or on pave street.

Jerry