what electronics to buy

pieman9155

Sig Hansen has equipped his crab boat in the Bering Sea with Garmin now. He has to find a lot of crab pots in terrible winter weather and needs to find good ground to set them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My uncle Dave is the only guy I know that goes through depth finders like nobody's business, if you ask him they are all junk, LOL. I've had Eagles, my last unit was a Hummingbird 727 which both served me well and last but not least, a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI which I installed the last up date, and I'm very pleased with it. I personally think with the technology and competition amongst the different companies they all will exceed our expectations, there will always be one up on the other until the others come up with a different or better bell or whistle. Think back ten years ago where they all were black and white with little squares represented a fish and having to scale across to get the depth of the fish, to what we have to work with today. If you do your homework, to find what unit services your needs and budget I don't think you will be disappointed. I have two finders on my boat, my 727 angles back to see my riggers and the HDI is my gps with a lakeO chip for contours and split screen for finding structure and breaks. Now all I need is a 4xd and I'll be set for electronics.

my last unit was a Hummingbird 727 which both served me well.

Me too! I just bought the a68 to replace it. It has been a good unit but time to retire it. I bought it in 2006 and it has worked the past 9 season great on my boat without any problems it was just time to get a little newer technology. Also this unit was left on the boat in the elements all summer long.

Sent from my thinking chair...