Fish hawk td

we have one, used it one time.. just didnt seam to do what i thought it would,   only stays on for like 45 seconds....    not enought time to get your lure out..

love the fish hawk x4 for the rigger,

good luck Rick

I've had one for a couple of years and if used properly it is pretty neat. I don't presently have a Fish hawk 4 or 4D so I attach it to one of my riggers when I am at about 100 ft water depth and send it down and bring it back up and record the specific temps at 5 ft intervals on a chart with a grease pencil down to 100 ft (although it goes deeper) and look for the thermocline (greatest variation in temps) and then set my lines accordingly. I do know that the thermocline changes throughout the lake to some degree so it is not a sure fire instrument when used that way but much better than nothing. I also have used it to determine just how deep my coppers, leadcores and dipseys are running and it works fine. Yes it does have an auto shut off to save on the  the battery but only when it is out of water once it hits the water it is fine and I've NEVER had a problem with it used in that manner. Oh and I  should also mention that it served as a "back up" when my buddy's X4 probe dropped to the bottom of Lake O....I think he is still in Florida recovering from that one :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

PD:

I use my TD to calibrate all my junk lines (dipsey, lead balls, copper, & lead core) The unit tells me exactly how deep each set goes so I can use them for the depth I need to go to with confidence. The TD is a great tool.

John

Edited by Iceman

It will stay on as long as it is still in the water. It shuts off after a set amount of time after it is retrieved and is out of the water. The water keeps it active and the water pressure changes activates the depth capability.

we have one, used it one time.. just didnt seam to do what i thought it would,   only stays on for like 45 seconds....    not enought time to get your lure out..

love the fish hawk x4 for the rigger,

good luck Rick

if you are throwing it out, i will take it!!! LOL

Edited by steelydan

I thought it would also automatically shut off if it was not in motion for 45 seconds, meaning going up or down in the water column?  I've had times where I sent one down on a rigger and left it for a few minutes and when  it came up it had already turned off.

There are two modes of operation for the TD - depth and temp. If it is used in the depth mode it measures in 1 ft increments in the temp mode it measures in 5 ft intervals with temps at each 5 ft marker down to the max depth you run it. I'm not sure what the auto shut off is set to kick in at for each. If it is on the rigger and sent down it will record the data and even if it does shutoff after a certain period the data is still there and can be looked at when it is returned to the boat by pressing "view".

Edited by Sk8man