Cannon power cables

I just got my boat from out back and was checking everything out when I noticed that the power cables coming out of my Mag 20's were cracking when I tried to move them the cable is hard as a rock.It looks like it's hard from where they were in the sun the parts that were covered up are fine. the cracks are showing bare wires now has anyone ever had this problem? these mag 20's were new about 5 or 6 years ago. My old mag 10's ran for 15 years with no problems with the power cables they are still very flexible. Does anyone know if these are part of there warranty?

We had the same problem on all 4 of our 3 year old Cannons. It got so bad we had sparks coming off of them. I don't remember if it was covered or not but, I don't believe it was. You'll have to call Screwy Louie's to find out. Just another reason why we switched to Scotty's.

Sorry it took me so long to post this..I've been out of town on business and am just getting caught up.

I saw Erbyjoe's post and contacted Dan Bennett, Product Manager for Johnson Outdoors, Inc. - Marine Electronics Group. I asked him about the problem and if Cannon was going to warranty them. Here's Dan's reply:

Bill,

Thanks for your patience on hearing back from me on this issue.

The power cords being referred to were replaced by new power cords after Johnson Outdoors, Inc. acquired Cannon back in 2005. The power cords on all of our electric downriggers over the last couple of years have been completely redesigned and are much more robust than the previous power cords. They are made out of UV resistant material and the connector has an IP68 waterproof rating, which is the highest waterproof rating you can get on this type of power connection.

In regards to your question, Cannon does cover these cords under warranty and will replace them at no charge with the new cords that I noted above. In order to be covered under warranty, the downriggers would need to go to an Authorized Cannon Service Center or sent to Cannon’s service department for replacement. To find the closest Authorized Service Center you can go to www.cannondownriggers.com/service/asc.asp and click on “Find an Authorized Service Centerâ€

Thats just real great .I have 2 mag 20 and i will run down and mail them right out for $60.00 and every thing is all right. Why can't they just send you the new cords so you don't have to pay that unnessary freight.

See what I get for trying to help? The company is standing behind the product and fixing the issue for free, even though it's a new group of owners and the problem pre-dated their ownership! I think they're being very stand-up about this. I have to assume that the reason that they don't just send you the cables is because once you open up the case yourself you've voided the warranty, plus they want to make sure the cables are installed properly. I personally can't see it costing $60 to mail them back. There are service centers all over the place, and I'm sure we can all find one that's fairly close to where we live.

Maybe a thank you to Bill would of been a bit more appropriate for his time looking into it for everyone.

They are willing to replace them with the updated cords at no charge. Instead of shipping them. Why don't you ck for a dealer nearest you or where you fish and make arrangements with them beforehand to have them replaced. :roll:

Had the same thing happen, I called fish307 they sent the cable for $14 +tax & shipping. It took me 5min to replace. If you order it make sure you get some of the black silicone goop to seal it with.

I was also told that the New Cannon is discontinuing parts for the pre 2006?models & once the parts are gone owners will be SOL.

I sold all mine on ebay last week, prices are dropping fast on the used stuff because the public is becoming more aware that your old cannon will be worthless if it gives up the ghost.

CC

HEY BILLY V i do appreciate you for that information don't get me wrong and please continue to supply that information .But what i was getting at that there are cheaper ways than sending out your downriggers. as CBISH stated the item only cost him $14.00 and it doesn't take rocket science to connect the ends.the cost is really about $30.00 UPS AND i don't have a service center close to my home .

I also emailed Dan about what CBish had heard about the pre-2006 parts not being stocked. Here's his response:

Bill,

This statement is not true. We are committed to standing behind our product from a service standpoint and will continue to have service parts available for older Cannon downriggers. That does not mean we will have every part for every Cannon downrigger ever made. The caveat would be on parts where a material or component goes obsolete on us and we are unable to source the item or find a suitable substitute, which can be a challenge over time for any company where product improvements and technology advances are made.

Dan Bennett