Out of state boat registration ?

I recently moved out of state but still travel to NY frequently. I purchased a boat that will be docked and used only in NY. my question is can I register the boat in NY or do I have to register it in my state of residence. I have looked at the dmv website but it isn't very helpful. Any help would be appreciated thanks. 

I understand that if the boat is moored in NY and is in the state half the year then you can register it in NY. At least that was my understanding when I spoke with the lady at the NY registry five years ago when I purchased my boat. The only issue I had was to get to the registry for the paperwork so therefor I registered it in Mass. My father was retired and could do the running for me. 

I understand that if the boat is moored in NY and is in the state half the year then you can register it in NY. At least that was my understanding when I spoke with the lady at the NY registry five years ago when I purchased my boat. The only issue I had was to get to the registry for the paperwork so therefor I registered it in Mass. My father was retired and could do the running for me. 

I plan on keeping it in NY year round and its insured in NY. I was going to have my father take the paperwork and register it for me this week I just don't know if there is any special forms

I plan on keeping it in NY year round and its insured in NY. I was going to have my father take the paperwork and register it for me this week I just don't know if there is any special forms

It would be best to go to the DMV and tell them the situation. They can give you any necessary forms if you need them. They were pretty helpful and gave me the forms I needed when I bought a boat from out of state and had it registered in NY.

If your boat is registered in another state but is in NY for more the 90 consecutive days then it needs to be registered in NY also. If your just going to keep it in NY then just register it in NY and you should be all set

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My uncle just went through this hole thing, he lives in NY. For 6 months than he goes to Florida for the other 6 months. He was told he needed a physical address in NY. to register his boat in NY. So he got a post office box and number, then the following year he was considered a resident. Then he registered his boat in NY. and he leaves it in NY. Maybe there are other ways to do it but that's what the DMV person explained.