newbie help with rod/ reel selection

Just started downrigging and need help selecting rod and reels.  Here's what I have and will be doing:

Have 2 Okuma convector 45 line counters...have #30 Flea flicker line on one of them (been told fleas get bad in Finger Lake)  That is where I'll be doing majority of down rigging.  Targeting Lakers, Browns and Salmon and of course some Walleyes.  Occasional Otisco Tigers.

Have #10 balls...Small Scotty down riggers (2)  Need more weights...only have one, barrowing another.

Looking to get two rods for the convectors....to down rig troll.  Options I'm looking at:  Shimono TDR trolling rods or Okuma Classic Pro GLT trolling rods.  I'm concerned that the 8'6" are going to be too stiff in a med. or med/heavy.  But I have the #30 flea flicker for fleas?  Most of the Medium light rods are rated for #10-#20.   

Help, thoughts?  Thanks, Slamminsam

If you have the money and this is a excellent deal on these rods, then these are it

Mike

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Shakespeare-1149783-Ugly-Stik-Bigwater-Rod-BWD110190-BWD1101-90.html?google=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-tSrBRCk8bzDiO__gbwBEiQAk-D31QtO-lGvvsVpHU8Gc4zvzgjAfc04e779OMofo3JXdhsaAklT8P8HAQ

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

They make those in a 8'3 also either way excellent down rigger rods... Don't let the light action fool you they will handle kings no problem to if you decide to wonder north

They make those in a 8'3 also either way excellent down rigger rods... Don't let the light action fool you they will handle kings no problem to if you decide to wonder north

X2 I use the 8' 3" with convector 20's on my riggers. Makes fighting small fish a little more fun but no problems pulling in big ones either. Not to mention the rods have so much give i'm sure it helps with pulling hooks.

Thanks for the feed back.  Now I already have the 45 convectors...is a 8'3" lightweight rod going to handle those reels.  And my biggest question is, can I run #30 pound fleaflicker on a rod rated #10-#20.  That is my concern buying a rod in a light weight action...

This is a video from lake Erie .. Most of the fish were all on the uglystick rods we are talking about.. They will handle 45's no problem I run most of mine with the Okuma cold water 45's.. These lakers were all stud fish and the rods handled them no problem .. As for the line yes they will handle 50lb mono if you want even.. I run coppers off them as well and leadcore so yes you are definitely safe with these rods..

https://youtu.be/e_QTeUf4t08

Edited by Iron Duke

That line is fine if you break the line or the rod before pulling a hook something else has gone wrong lol. I run the 8'3" with 40lb mono to combat the fleas come summer time and then just add a lighter floro carbon leader to it

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app