Kicker mount

Planned to install new to me 4 stroke on garlick eez in mount. After reading online reviews, im thinking about having a mount made from 1/4" steel an powdercoated. I trailer the boat from Binghamton to either fingerlakes or ontario. Heard some horror stories about kickers laying on highway. Anyone got advice? Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I've had my Garelick mount for my 9.9 (about 90 lbs) for 13 years without any problem but I have friends with the OMC adjustable mount that seems really "bullet proof" but they are pricey (if you can find them).

Had a Garelick mount on my last boat. Used it for over 8 years on a 15hp Honda and later with a 9.9 Yamaha without any problems. I used backer plates on transom when mounting and I had a bracket for a ratchet strap so kicker was always secure. Make sure mount is rated for the weight of your motor. Quite a lot of engineering in these mounts so I wouldn't try to make one myself.

Best bet if your traveling far is to remove the kicker. Once I'm at camp I leave it on to go from place to place up there, but would not trailer my kicker 250 miles from home.

For trailering, I use a ratchet strap to secure my 15 hp 4 stroke on a Garelick mount so it does not bounce. Bouncing will create excessive strain on all parts. I string the strap through the rear cleat, down and around the motor shaft, through the u bolt on the transom, then back around the motor shaft to the ratchet. Then I also use a heavy rubber bungee cord from the E-Z Steer connector mounted on the motor shaft to the trailer to keep the motor from swinging back and forth. The motor is in the vertical position.

Thanks guys! I got the mount rated for a 30hp. Seems very solid but the company says they dont recommend trailering with engine mounted. Kicker has controls and is heavier than I want to load and unload every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United