spooling wire line for dipsey

hello I got a question I read when spooling wire line on reel need to go 100 ft then splice 4 ft of Dacron line in every hundred ft. I did not do this I just put backing on and 300ft wire, an then leader I would like to know why th splice every 100 ft and if you all do this I cant see what this will do. well thanks for the help. ebjoy your day.

hello I got a question I read when spooling wire line on reel need to go 100 ft then splice 4 ft of Dacron line in every hundred ft. I did not do this I just put backing on and 300ft wire, an then leader I would like to know why th splice every 100 ft and if you all do this I cant see what this will do. well thanks for the help. ebjoy your day.

this do not do. Get yourself a 1000 ft spool of .015 wire and wind it on the reel. You do not want splices all over in your dipseys wire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Splicing line every 100ft is probably a marker they use to determine how much line they have out.  This could create weak points  with more knots.  If you have a line counter reel, this is not required.  The way you set this up should be fine as long as the reel has a line counter.  You mentioned a leader, but most people just attach the wire directly to the dipsy and put a 6-10ft leader behind the dipsy.

I would think it was only for attaching to boards at different lengths for running cranks. I do put about a 10' 30lb flouro leader on mine connected with a 50 lb spro swivel then when you are attaching dipsy or storing the wire is not getting all coily against the twilly tip.

First of all 300 ft of wire sounds pretty short if you are fishing Lake O most folks use 1,000 ft straight wire rather than a shorter section with extensive backing. As mentioned earlier ANY sectioning of your main line introduces possible weakness at any connection which affects the integrity and strength of it and this is true of ANY line situation....the fewer connections the better. When running dipseys on wire  in most situations a leader is unnecessary. If you have a line counter reel your best bet is to start over with a new spool of 30 lb 7 strand or 19 strand wire with a strong solid ring high quality swivel snap  and avoid potential future headaches (money well spent in my opinion). I'd put on 50-100 ft of 30 lb mono to protect the reel spool first and then the wire (I attach with a #8 Spro power swivel). When spooling the line (if you don't have a professional line spooler) it is best done as a two person job by hand with slight pressure exerted on sides the originating line spool by the second person (NO opportunity for slack). and it is important to start the wire centered on the level wind mechanism not on an angle so the wire comes in straight. ALWAYS keep wire under tension whether in use or not. The best thing to do is the first time you use the wire go out deep and attach a bare dipsey or heavy sinker to the swivel and let out several hundred feet of the wire and then reel it back in under tension so that it will sit properly and tightly on the reel spool. You should then be all set to fish :)

• 2 weeks later...