Staying in sodus bay question.

I rented a house for the 1st week of sept in sodus bay. Planing on fishing all week (weather permitting) . My question is being late season when the fish are staging if I have to make the runs to oswego every day would it be productive to troll all the way or just blast over there ? I have never fished that area only fished oswego and Pulaski over past 20yrs. I have never stayed in sodus but decided to so that I could have my boat in the water . I'm hoping I didn't make a bad decision by renting here. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated .

John

I rented a house for the 1st week of sept in sodus bay. Planing on fishing all week (weather permitting) . My question is being late season when the fish are staging if I have to make the runs to oswego every day would it be productive to troll all the way or just blast over there ? I have never fished that area only fished oswego and Pulaski over past 20yrs. I have never stayed in sodus but decided to so that I could have my boat in the water . I'm hoping I didn't make a bad decision by renting here. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated .

John

Fish are not staging.  They are pretty scattered if you look at reports from around the lake and in most cases going 350+ has been needed to get what meager amounts of fish are hitting.  Hopefully the pattern changes but right now no matter where you are you have to work hard to get some takers.

I fish out of Oswego. During the month ofSeptember the fishing can be good in Oswego. However, I usually run to Pulaski and fish in front of the salmon River

Thanks

Al

HOOKNUP 2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by hooknup

Liking story short my wife got it for me for my B day. Rented it for a week cause I have talked about staying at the lake for a week to fish kings. So because of that I would never say or change anything. I'm trying to figure out how the fishing would be in that part of the lake (sodus) the 1 st week of sept and worse came to worse I could run to Oswego since I have fished them before there for yrs.

I can understand that.

I actually have my boat in Sodus bay and will be motoring it over to Oswego for the first week of sept to stay there. I've fished Oswego for a week for the past 5 years and always hear good reports out of Sodus during the same time.

It's all subject to change like everything else in life.

Edited by Ryno23

I'm sorry I ment in sept they will stage in close to run. Well it is what it is , I will give it a shot this year fishing that area. I'm sure there will be some fish in that area. Any avice or suggestions on where to go out the cut would be greatly appreciated ..

I do fish for them in Sodus, but buddies always rent out of Oswego for week so I head there.

He is right about the boat traffic in Oswego many many more fisherman in Oswego than Sodus. But you don't have to deal with the sailboats in Oswego like the armada that is always in Sodus.

To be honest. Seems like Oswego is better that time of year, but like I said people still catching fish in Sodus and wt the weather this year Sodus probably be better this year at that time.

Thanks guys for the info. I will give it a try this yr. Any more info on where to start once we get out the bay? Or is it the same as oswego. I usually head out to 80-100 and work from there. Oh and is there any hazards I should know about coming and going that bay?

If you want to give me ur number I can let you know how I'm doing Oswego at that time so you can make a decision on the run.

I'm betting they will be a bit deeper than that wt this weather. I could be wrong though.

Hazards: sailboats. Sailboats. Sailboats. Jet skiers. Rec boats if weather is nice. And channel is only 5 mph which took me abit to get use to as I use to come out of Oswego for along time.

thanks again for the help and info. I Have been talking to my buddies that are staying the week with me and we decided to just focus on sodus . I will reach out to u on LOU when I'm there and let u know how we r doing . Good luck

Thanks again.

Don't sell Sodus Bay short :) . It can offer some pretty good advantages at that time of the year.  The salmon are in large part heading east out in the lake  toward the Salmon River but many are in transit there from the western sections of the lake then and Sodus is right in the path. You can fish either east or west depending on the reports of the day.   A real advantage is seen when the lake is very rough and virtually unfishable especially for smaller boats there are often salmon right in the channel despite it being far from optimal trolling conditions and also in the bay itself along the eastern side especially.I've seen people catch them right off their docks and the pier itself in the past. If marginal conditions are present in the lake it can be real good fishing right straight out from the channel allowing you to get back in quickly if storms etc.  There are also some handy restaurants and some night life there if you are into it :) So far this year things have been inconsistent all around the lake and I don't think anyone has it figured out yet so no matter where you go it will probably be a "crap shoot" this season.  

Edited by Sk8man

That's some very helpful info. I'm excited to try a new area. I know I will have to put my time in there like any other part of the lake but the info you guys are sharing will help a ton. I will monitor ch9 and reach out for some info and also share info with u guys if I stumble onto some fish . Fingers crossed fish and lake are cooperating ... I will be in a 23 ft pursuit, boat/radio name BALLDRAGGER...

They won't be in the channel or the bay the first week in September. Point her north out of the chute. Set gear in 85. And slide out from there. Last year I doubled and tripled on majors (solo) out in 150-400. This was on 9/2 and 9/3. I believe the fish were deep (90-115 down).

Your wife made a good choice picking Sodus Bay. Good fishing, good friendly people, and great restaurants.(so you better take her out a couple of times). Channels 8 and 9 will give you all the information you will need to know where to start. Good luck and enjoy your vacation. And no, I do not work for the Visitors Bureau. Have a great week.

X 2 on Warren's All the salmon stuff you might be dreaming about is probably there :)

Edited by Sk8man