Pancake downrigger balls

I just recently purchased 13 pound pancake balls from cabela's. They ran great for the first 4 hours then I had trouble with them crossing each other off the rear riggers. I went back to 10 pound balls with no problem. help!!! What am I doing wrong?

JBOOCK;

Do what I did and bend the tails out a bit...keep in mind you will have to run them on the right side of the boat at all time...port and star. I have ran them down over a 100' with no problems...8' beam on boat.. the bend in the fins/tails will push them farther a part :idea:

Mark

i run them too without problems. the only thing ive found is if you bend them too much they actually "swim". so try not to over bend them. and like mark said make sure you use them on the right side of the boat.

I bought 2 13# pancakes a couple of years ago and had nothing but headaches. I belive if you get into cross current you are in for major tangles. The large fin must take off in a current. I went back to 12# Tru Tracs and have far fewer tangles.I keep the pancakes as backup.

I run pancake weights and love em! DON'T put more than a 15 degree bend in the tail or like Legacy said, they will swim instead of track. Also, make sure the tail is bent away from the boat or they will cross. Good luck!

Brian(Goin Deep)

In heavy waves I run one pancake deep, and the second ball is a shark or round......no problems tangling with this set up, even with Niagara currents.